McGehee, Brewers edge Cardinals in extrasAug 10, 2011 - 5:57 AM
Yuniesky Betancourt tacked on an insurance sacrifice fly for the Brewers, who have won five straight and 12 of their last 13 contests. They are now four games in front of the second-place Cardinals. Corey Hart belted a two-run homer for the winners.
David Freese had two hits and an RBI for the Cardinals, who faltered on a chance to possibly grab the opener of this three-game series. In the ninth, Rafael Furcal singled to center with two outs off LaTroy Hawkins (1-0). Daniel Descalso then hit a bouncer to second base, but Betancourt booted the ball, as Furcal moved into scoring position. Albert Pujols couldn't come through as he flied out to right.
Nyjer Morgan singled leading off the 10th against Octavio Dotel (0-1), and Prince Fielder's base hit to center put runners at the corners with one out. McGehee then double to right and Betancourt's fly ball to center made it a two-run cushion.
John Axford notched his 33rd save of the year by working around a Lance Berkman one-out double.
"I'm just going after hitters a little more right now," Axford said. "I'm trying to keep the walks down. Obviously, defense and offense in front of you, that's going to help."
The Cardinals, who had 11 hits but left 10 men on base, had a four-game winning streak broken.
"When you play the tam that's in front of you you'd like to take advantage of it," Berkman said. "They're in front of us for a reason because they have a great team. They're going to be tough to beat."
Brewers starting pitcher Shaun Marcum allowed eight hits over six innings, while Edwin Jackson gave up six in six frames.
Hart's homer to center in the third gave the Brewers the early lead, but they stranded a runner at third in three straight innings - the third through the fifth. That included a bases-loaded chance in the fifth.
Corey Patterson's single plated Gerald Laird in the fifth, but the Cardinals should have had more that inning. After Furcal hit a ball toward first base, Skip Schumaker appeared to slide around the tag of catcher Jonathan Lucroy, but home plate umpire Angel Hernandez signaled out, much to the dismay of St. Louis manager Tony La Russa.
Lucroy singled in a run in the sixth, but the Cardinals tied the game with RBI base hits from Freese and Laird in the bottom half.
The Brewers had nine hits. Before Monday they had collected 10 or more hits in nine consecutive games...Milwaukee is 7-3 this season against the Cardinals...St. Louis reliever Lance Lynn departed the game in the ninth inning with a pulled muscle in his left side.
- MILWAUKEE: 5
ST. LOUIS: 3
Aug 10 12:53 AM
- John Axford starts the inning for the Brewers. Craig Counsell replaces Felipe Lopez, playing second base and batting 7th.
Brewers 5, Cardinals 3 Bot 10, 0 OutsAug 10 12:06 AM
- Casey McGehee double to right scored Nyjer Morgan with one out. On the play, Prince Fielder advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Brewers 4, Cardinals 3 Top 10, 1 OutAug 9 11:57 PM
- Gerald Laird single to center scored David Freese with two out. Runner on first and Edwin Jackson due up.
Brewers 3, Cardinals 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 9 10:36 PM
- David Freese single to left scored Matt Holliday with one out. Runner on first and Skip Schumaker due up.
Brewers 3, Cardinals 2 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 9 10:29 PM
- Matt Holliday singled to left and advanced to third on Ryan Braun's fielding error. Runner on third with none out and Lance Berkman due up.
Brewers 3, Cardinals 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 9 10:28 PM
- Corey Patterson single to center scored Gerald Laird with two out. On the play, Rafael Furcal advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Albert Pujols due up.
Brewers 2, Cardinals 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 9 10:07 PM
- Nyjer Morgan tripled to right. Runner on third with two outs and Ryan Braun due up.
Brewers 2, Cardinals 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 9 9:04 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 9 8:17 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21