Britton, O's hand Rangers first loss of 2011Apr 10, 2011 - 2:18 AM
The Rangers combined to score 42 runs in three-game sweeps against Boston and Seattle to begin their season, but on Saturday ran into a buzzsaw in Britton (2-0), who was charged with just four hits and three walks to help the Orioles improve to 6-1 on the young season.
Mark Reynolds went 2-for-3 with a three-run homer and Nick Markakis had a solo shot in the victory.
Colby Lewis (1-1) allowed five runs -- four earned -- on six hits in his six- inning start for Texas, which was trying to start the year 7-0 for the first time since 1996.
Rain caused the opener of this three-game series to be moved to Saturday afternoon.
Britton, who threw six innings of one-run ball in his MLB debut last Sunday, allowed just one walk in the first three innings while his offense spotted him a lead.
In the first frame, Markakis belted a solo homer that stayed inside the right field foul pole. The Orioles put runners on the corners the next frame, and Reynolds, acquired in an offseason trade with Arizona, crushed a Lewis offering roughly 20 rows into the left-field seats for a 4-0 cushion.
An Adam Jones single plated Vladimir Guerrero in the third, and Britton did the rest.
Nelson Cruz recorded the first hit off the 6-foot-3 lefty with a one-out single in the fifth, but he was quickly erased when Mike Napoli bounced into a 4-6-3 double play.
Britton worked around Yorvit Torrealba's leadoff double in the sixth, then induced his third double-play ball of the game to keep the Rangers quiet in the seventh.
Buck Showalter took out the 23-year-old hurler with runners on the corners in the eighth, and Jason Berken got Ian Kinsler to ground into a fielder's choice to end the threat.
Berken tossed a scoreless ninth to complete the shutout.
Britton had two strikeouts and threw 63 of his 103 pitches for strikes...Brian Roberts, who was suffering from stomach pains on Friday, was in the Orioles' lineup, but went 0-for-4...Texas third baseman Adrian Beltre grounded two double plays...Mason Tobin threw two scoreless innings of relief for Texas.
- TEXAS: 0
Apr 9 6:59 PM
- Adam Jones single to center scored Vladimir Guerrero. Runners on first and third with two outs and Mark Reynolds due up.
Rangers 0, Orioles 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 9 5:26 PM
- Mark Reynolds none-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Luke Scott and Adam Jones. Matt Wieters due up.
Rangers 0, Orioles 4 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 9 5:03 PM
- Nick Markakis one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Derrek Lee due up.
Rangers 0, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 9 4:44 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 9 4:38 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22