Reds top Astros in Bailey's 2011 debutMay 5, 2011 - 10:01 PM
Jay Bruce turned in a three-hit game with a solo homer and three runs scored for the Reds, who won consecutive games for the first time since April 11-12 at San Diego. Fred Lewis added a pinch-hit solo shot for the victors.
Homer Bailey (1-0), making his first start of the 2011 season, worked six solid innings, allowing one run on four hits with seven strikeouts. He did walk one. The right-hander was activated off the 15-day disabled list prior to the game with an impingement in his pitching shoulder he suffered in spring training. He made 19 starts for the Reds last season, going 4-3 with a 4.46 earned run average.
"It was good to get back into the game, to be a part of this team again and go out there and compete with those guys. They had my back so well," Bailey said about his teammates.
Hunter Pence went 2-for-4 with three RBI, while Jason Bourgeois drove in the other run for Houston, which has dropped two straight after a three-game winning streak.
Brett Myers (1-2) was touched for nine hits and six runs in 5 2/3 innings. The veteran righty struck out four and walked three.
"It didn't appear that he had his best stuff, but it was sure nice to see him battle all the way through it," Astros manager Brad Mills said about Myers.
Hanigan's run-scoring single to right in the second gave Cincinnati the early lead.
With the bases loaded in the fourth, Hanigan again stepped up and lined a two- run single to left to make it a 3-0 game.
Chris Heisey reached with a bunt single leading off the fifth, stole second and came around to score on a base hit by Edgar Renteria.
Pence's RBI double to center in the sixth got the Astros on the board, but Paul Janish's sac fly and homer by Lewis in the home half put Cincinnati up 6-1.
Bourgeois drew a bases loaded walk and Pence's two-run single off Aroldis Chapman in the seventh cut the Houston deficit to 6-4. Chapman was replaced by Bill Bray, who got Brett Wallace to ground out to prevent further damage.
Nick Masset worked a perfect top of the eighth and the Reds tacked on four more in the bottom portion. Bruce led off the frame with a solo homer to right and later, Drew Stubbs' RBI double, a sac fly from Heisey and run-scoring single by Renteria made it 10-4.
Sam LeCure came on to throw a 1-2-3 ninth to finish off the victory.
Prior to the game, the Reds optioned pitcher Jordan Smith to Triple-A Louisville to make room on the roster for Bailey...Astros left fielder Carlos Lee missed his third straight game with sore left ribs and is listed as day-to-day. Lee suffered the injury on Sunday, when he collided with teammate Angel Sanchez while pursuing a fly ball...Cincinnati took two of three from the Astros earlier in the season...Astros second baseman Bill Hall was ejected in the seventh inning for arguing balls and strikes...Reds first baseman Joey Votto went 1-for-5 with a run scored and has now reached base safely in 31 straight games.
- HOUSTON: 4
May 5 3:35 PM
- Joey Votto lined out to second to end the inning.
Astros 4, Reds 10 End 8May 5 3:28 PM
- Chris Heisey sacrifice fly to center scored Paul Janish. On the play, Drew Stubbs advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Edgar Renteria due up.
Astros 4, Reds 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 5 3:25 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Drew Stubbs doubled to left center scored Ryan Hanigan. On the play, Paul Janish advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Chris Heisey due up.
Astros 4, Reds 8 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 5 3:24 PM
- Jay Bruce lead-off Home Run (6) to right center. Jonny Gomes due up.
Astros 4, Reds 7 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 5 3:16 PM
- Hunter Pence singled to left scored Matt Downs and Michael Bourn. On the play, Jason Bourgeois advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 4, Reds 6 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 5 2:49 PM
- Jason Bourgeois's two-out, bases loaded walk scored Clint Barmes. Bases loaded with two outs and Hunter Pence due up.
Astros 2, Reds 6 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 5 2:47 PM
- Enerio Del Rosario enters the game for the Astros with none on and two out, batting 9th.
Astros 1, Reds 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 5 2:29 PM
- Paul Janish sacrifice fly to center scored Jonny Gomes. None on with two outs and Homer Bailey due up.
Astros 1, Reds 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 5 2:26 PM
- Hunter Pence doubled to right center scored Jason Bourgeois.. Runner on second with one out and Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 1, Reds 4 Top 6, 1 OutMay 5 2:12 PM
- Edgar Renteria singled to right scored Chris Heisey. Runner on first with none out and Joey Votto due up.
Astros 0, Reds 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 5 1:59 PM
- Paul Janish flied out to left. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Homer Bailey due up.
Astros 0, Reds 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 5 1:45 PM
- Jonny Gomes caught stealing home. Runner on first with two outs and Paul Janish at the plate.
Astros 0, Reds 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 5 1:11 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 5 12:36 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21