Dodgers' Eveland sparkles in return to majorsSep 2, 2011 - 1:48 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Dana Eveland pitched spectacularly on Thursday, going eight strong innings to lead the Los Angeles Dodgers to a 6-4 victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates at PNC Park.
Eveland (1-0), who was making his first start since June 7, 2010 when he was a member of the Pirates, gave up one run on six hits, while fanning three and walking none. Kenley Jansen relieved Blake Hawksworth after he had given up two runs in the ninth to earn his third save of the season.
"I've done it up here before, it's not my first time that I've won a game up here," Eveland said. "I didn't really have any nerves or anything, I just threw like it was another day on the mound. It doesn't matter where I am, I'm going to go out and do my thing."
Dee Gordon ripped a two-run double, while Aaron Miles added a two-run single for the Dodgers, winners of nine of their last 10 games, and four straight.
Brad Lincoln (1-1) yielded three runs on six hits over six innings, while striking out three and walking three to absorb the loss for the Pirates, who have dropped five consecutive games.
Alex Presley clubbed a two-run homer, Ryan Doumit had three hits and Chase d'Arnaud chipped in with two hits in defeat.
Los Angeles plated three runs in its first at-bat and stayed in front for good. Gordon led off the game with a single, Matt Kemp slapped a single to right two batters later, and Andre Ethier was intentionally walked to load the bases. Miles came through with a two-run single and Tony Gwynn Jr. followed with a sacrifice fly to center.
"If we can just eliminate the early runs, we can come in more focused and maybe get deep into the ball game and not have to fight from behind from the start," Linclon said.
Pittsburgh got a run back in the second when Doumit and Neil Walker slapped back-to-back singles and Josh Harrison grounded into a double play, allowing Doumit to score.
Los Angeles had an excellent opportunity to expand its lead in the sixth. Ethier walked to begin the frame and Gwynn singled to right two batters later, but was erased trying to steal second. Following the caught stealing, A.J. Ellis walked and Jamey Carroll was hit by a pitch to load the bases with two outs. Lincoln got Eveland to fly out to center to end the threat.
James Loney hit a one-out single to right in the seventh and Kemp reached on a throwing error by d'Arnaud to put runners on the corners with one out. Loney then alertly scampered home on a passed ball by Doumit to give the visitors a 4-1 advantage.
The Dodgers broke the game open in the eighth, adding a pair of runs courtesy of a two-run double down the right field line by Gordon.
Hawksworth took over for Eveland in the ninth, but ran into trouble. Jose Tabata singled to right and Presley followed with his homer, cutting the lead to 6-3 and chasing Hawksworth from the game. Jansen was summoned from the bullpen and walked Andrew McCutchen before giving up a single to Doumit to put runners on the corners with no outs. Walker then lofted his sac fly to make it 6-4. Jansen recovered to strike out Harrison and Brandon Wood to end the game.
Thursday's game was a make-up date from a May 12 rainout...Prior to the game, the Dodgers called up Eveland and infielder Russ Mitchell from Triple-A Albuquerque...Pittsburgh recalled catcher Jason Jaramillo and pitcher Brian Burres...Los Angeles leads the all-time series with Pittsburgh by a 1,096-957 count...The Dodgers are 30-35 on the road this season.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
Sep 1 7:06 PM
- Neil Walker sacrifice fly to right scored Andrew McCutchen. Runner on first with one out and Josh Harrison due up.
Dodgers 6, Pirates 4 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 1 7:02 PM
- Alex Presley none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Jose Tabata. Andrew McCutchen is due up.
Dodgers 6, Pirates 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 1 6:53 PM
- Dee Gordon doubled to right scoring A.J. Ellis and Jamey Carroll. On the play, Dana Eveland advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 6, Pirates 1 Top 8, 1 OutSep 1 6:23 PM
- Ryan Doumit's passed ball scored James Loney. Runner on third with one out as Matt Kemp advances and Andre Ethier at the plate.
Dodgers 4, Pirates 1 Top 7, 1 OutSep 1 5:55 PM
- Josh Harrison's double play groundout from second to short to first scored Ryan Doumit. Neil Walker out at second. None on with two outs and Brandon Wood due up.
Dodgers 3, Pirates 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 1 4:37 PM
- Tony Gwynn Jr. sacrifice fly to center scored Andre Ethier. Runner on first with two outs and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 3, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 1 4:14 PM
- Aaron Miles singled to right scoring Dee Gordon and Matt Kemp. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Dodgers 2, Pirates 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 1 4:13 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 1 4:05 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21