Indians down TwinsSep 25, 2011 - 2:01 AM
Jason Kipnis went 2-for-3 with two RBI and two runs scored while Travis Hafner scored twice for the Indians, who have won three straight. David Huff gave up just two runs on eight hits with seven strikeouts over 5 2/3 innings while Zach Putnam (1-1) grabbed the win for 1 1/3 scoreless innings.
Trevor Plouffe went 3-for-4 with an RBI for the Twins, who have won just one of their last 14 games and two of their last 20. Brian Duensing gave up two runs on three hits over five innings in the start, while Francisco Liriano (9-10) was tagged for five runs while recording just one out in the sixth.
"He felt great out there and that is what was key," said Twins manager Ron Gardenhire about Liriano. "We didn't want him out there throwing 50 pitches, but his arm felt great and he felt good so we'll see if we want to get him out there for another inning."
Duncan's two-run double in the first staked Cleveland to a 2-0 lead.
"He's been great for us this past month," said Cleveland manager Manny Acta about Duncan. "With some of the guys gone, he's gotten more opportunities to play and he's taken advantage of it."
The score remained that way until the fourth when Danny Valencia scored on a wild pitch from Huff and Plouffe doubled home Valencia in the sixth to tie the game.
However, Cleveland exploded for six runs in the bottom of the sixth.
Kipnis and Carlos Santana worked walks to start the inning and Hafner was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Duncan then lofted a sacrifice fly to score the first run and Matt LaPorta followed with an RBI double. Jack Hannahan then singled home a run to chase Liriano from the game.
Jim Hoey then took the mound and gave up an RBI single to Kosuke Fukudome and a two-run single to Kipnis to make it an 8-2 game.
Putnam, who got the final out of the sixth, worked the seventh while Frank Herrmann pitched a perfect two innings to finish the win.
Cleveland has won 10 of the 16 games with Minnesota this season...Cleveland center fielder Trevor Crowe left the game in the second inning with a left shoulder strain and will miss the final four days of the regular season...Minnesota batted 0-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base.
- MINNESOTA: 2
Sep 24 3:48 PM
- Jason Kipnis singled to center scoring Jack Hannahan and Kosuke Fukudome. On the play, Jason Donald advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Carlos Santana due up.
Twins 2, Indians 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 24 3:08 PM
- Kosuke Fukudome singled to right scoring Matt LaPorta with one out. On the play, Jack Hannahan advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Ezequiel Carrera due up.
Twins 2, Indians 6 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 24 3:06 PM
- Jack Hannahan singled to center scoring Travis Hafner with one out. On the play, Matt LaPorta advances to third. Runners on first and third and Kosuke Fukudome due up.
Twins 2, Indians 5 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 24 3:01 PM
- Matt LaPorta doubled to left scoring Carlos Santana with one out. On the play, Travis Hafner advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jack Hannahan due up.
Twins 2, Indians 4 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 24 2:57 PM
- Shelley Duncan sacrifice fly to left scored Jason Kipnis with one out. Runners on first and second and Matt LaPorta due up.
Twins 2, Indians 3 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 24 2:56 PM
- Trevor Plouffe doubled to right scoring Danny Valencia.. Runner on second with one out and Luke Hughes due up.
Twins 2, Indians 2 Top 6, 1 OutSep 24 2:36 PM
- David Huff's wild pitch scored Danny Valencia with one out. Trevor Plouffe advanced to second. Runner on second with one out and Luke Hughes at the plate.
Twins 1, Indians 2 Top 4, 1 OutSep 24 2:05 PM
- Shelley Duncan doubled to center scoring Jason Kipnis and Travis Hafner. Runner on second with two outs and Matt LaPorta due up.
Twins 0, Indians 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 24 1:24 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 24 1:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21