De Jesus lifts depleted Dodgers over D-BacksMay 23, 2012 - 6:49 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Although they've been beset by a recent rash of injuries, the Los Angeles Dodgers continue to thrive.
On Tuesday, it was Ivan De Jesus who played the role of hero with a two- run, two-out double in the top of the ninth inning, and the Dodgers became the first team to reach 30 victories as they improbably rallied for an 8-7 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks in the middle test of a three-game set.
"I was just looking for a fastball, just looking for a fastball to drive in, and I was going to home plate just aggresive, just aggresive and that's what I did," De Jesus said of the game-winning hit.
De Jesus, who was called up on Saturday, also had a pinch-hit sacrifice fly as part of a five-run seventh inning for the Dodgers, who overcame 5-0 and 6-1 deficits in the contest.
The Dodgers have won six straight and 12-of-15 despite losing five hitters to the disabled list since May 7, including star center fielder Matt Kemp.
Lyle Overbay smacked four hits, including a go-ahead solo home run in the bottom of the eighth inning, and scored three runs for the Diamondbacks, who lost for the third time when leading after eight innings.
"It's kind of frustrating, we just couldn't get her done, we had our chance, we battled in the ninth and just couldn't get the tying run across," Overbay said.
Josh Lindblom (2-0) replaced Ronald Belisario on the mound in the eighth inning with the game tied at 6-6. Chris Young popped out, which brought up Overbay, who smacked a towering no-doubt solo shot to center for a 7-6 Arizona advantage.
In the ninth frame, the struggling J.J. Putz (0-3) surrendered back-to-back one-out walks to Elian Herrera and Bobby Abreu before fanning Andre Ethier. De Jesus followed and drilled the first offering from Putz over the head of center fielder Chris Young, which brought home Herrera and Abreu for an 8-7 Dodgers lead.
Willie Bloomquist reached on a strikeout wild pitch to begin the bottom half of the frame against Kenley Jansen. After Ryan Roberts fanned, Upton stroked a base hit to center, putting runners on the corners. But Jason Kubel grounded into a game-ending 4-6-3 double play, giving Jansen his sixth save of the year.
Earlier, Arizona surged ahead with two runs in the second, one in the third and a pair in the fifth.
Former Dodgers prospect Josh Bell launched a massive two-run shot in the second, Upton ripped an RBI single to right in the third and a run-scoring double in the fifth. Kubel's sacrifice fly plated Upton, giving Arizona a 5-0 edge.
Los Angeles got on the scoreboard in the sixth frame on Ethier's sac fly to left, but Arizona got the run back in its half of the inning on Henry Blanco's RBI double.
Brad Ziegler relieved starter Trevor Cahill, who fanned six and surrendered a run on six hits and three walks, in the seventh frame. Ziegler did not record an out to the three batters he faced, which included an RBI double he allowed to pinch-hitter Jerry Sands.
Craig Breslow took over on the hill and Tony Gwynn Jr. immediatlely slapped a two-run single to center and two batters later, Abreu's run-scoring base hit cut the deficit to 6-5.
Ethier singled to load the bases, chasing Breslow out of the contest. He was replaced by Bryan Shaw, who served up a sac fly to De Jesus which tied the game.
Aaron Harang struck out six and gave up five runs on nine hits in a 4 1/3- inning start for the Dodgers...The Dodgers were 5-for-12 with runners in scoring position, while Arizona was 3-for-8.
- LOS ANGELES: 8
May 23 1:19 AM
- Ivan De Jesus doubled to center scored Elian Herrera and Bobby Abreu. Runner on second with two outs and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 8, Diamondbacks 7 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 23 12:59 AM
- Lyle Overbay one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right center. Josh Bell due up.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 23 12:38 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Ivan De Jesus sacrifice fly to right scored Elian Herrera. On the play, Bobby Abreu advances to third. Runners on first and third and with one out and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 6, Diamondbacks 6 Top 7, 1 OutMay 23 12:09 AM
- Bobby Abreu singled to center scored Tony Gwynn Jr.. On the play, Elian Herrera advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 5, Diamondbacks 6 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 23 12:03 AM
- Tony Gwynn Jr. singled to right scored Dee Gordon and Scott Elbert. Runner on first with none out and Elian Herrera due up.
Dodgers 4, Diamondbacks 6 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 22 11:59 PM
- Scott Elbert doubled to right scored A.J. Ellis. On the play, Dee Gordon advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Dodgers 2, Diamondbacks 6 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 22 11:54 PM
- Henry Blanco doubled to left scored Lyle Overbay. Runner on second with one out and Trevor Cahill due up.
Dodgers 1, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 22 11:46 PM
- James Loney grounded out to first to end the inning.
Dodgers 1, Diamondbacks 5 Mid 6May 22 11:39 PM
- Jason Kubel sacrifice fly to left scored Justin Upton. None on with two outs and Chris Young due up.
Dodgers 0, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 22 11:20 PM
- Justin Upton doubled to left scored Willie Bloomquist. Runner on second with one out and Jason Kubel due up.
Dodgers 0, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 22 11:14 PM
- Justin Upton singled to right scored Ryan Roberts. Runner on first with none out and Jason Kubel due up.
Dodgers 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 22 10:31 PM
- Josh Bell one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Lyle Overbay. Henry Blanco due up.
Dodgers 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 22 10:11 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 22 9:40 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21