Defensive breakdown gives Brewers win over D-BacksJul 2, 2012 - 12:24 AM
Gomez, a pinch runner for Aramis Ramirez who worked a leadoff walk against Patrick Corbin (2-4), broke for second with Rickie Weeks at the plate, but a wild throw by Arizona catcher Miguel Montero sailed into center field. Gerardo Parra's throw to third then one-hopped third baseman Willie Bloomquist and skipped into the stands, and Gomez was awarded home to end the game.
"Nice break there in the ninth," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke. "Gomez did a great job with a good jump. When he's out there some things are going to happen. Outstanding ballgame."
John Axford (2-5) picked up the win with a scoreless top of the ninth.
Nyjer Morgan drove in the other run for the Brewers, who won the set and have taken three of four since a four-game losing skid.
Starter Yovani Gallardo allowed three hits and five walks, fanning six over 6 2/3 innings.
Jason Kubel's eighth-inning homer was the sole offense for the D-Backs, who have lost four of six.
"It just didn't work out, I have no problem with that play," said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson. "There wasn't a lack of effort, but concentration."
Josh Collmenter scattered three hits and one run with five strikeouts in six full frames.
Milwaukee picked up the game's first run in the fourth, as Norichika Aoki started with a ground-rule double, moved up on a wild pitch and came home on a Morgan grounder to second.
Kubel began the eighth by clearing the wall in left center off Francisco Rodriguez to tie the game at 1-1.
Bloomquist singled with two down in the ninth but was thrown out trying to steal second.
The season series was a six-game split...Both clubs are in action on Monday, as Milwaukee hosts Miami for four games and Arizona returns home to welcome San Diego for a three-game set.
- ARIZONA: 1
Jul 1 5:42 PM
- Jason Kubel lead-off Home Run (12) to left center. Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Brewers 1 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 1 4:44 PM
- Nyjer Morgan grounded out second to first scoring Norichika Aoki with one out. None on and Ryan Braun due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Brewers 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 1 3:17 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 1 2:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Wright swings away, gives Mets 5-4 comeback win over Brewers May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21