Hamilton heats up as Rangers down Red SoxAug 9, 2012 - 3:28 AM
Following a prolonged June and July slump, Hamilton had his second four RBI game in less than a week, tallying three hits, including his 30th homer of the season, while Adrian Beltre hit a go-ahead sacrifice fly in the ninth as the Texas Rangers outslugged the Boston Red Sox, 10-9, in the finale of a three- game set.
The 31-year-old Hamilton had just one four RBI game in June and July combined, when he hit just .202 (35-for-173). He's batting .289 (11-for-38) thus far in August.
"He's started to swing a little bit better," Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus said.
Andrus had three hits and scored three times and Geovany Soto clubbed a two- run blast for the Rangers, who have won six of their last eight contests. Mitch Moreland and Nelson Cruz each added a solo homer.
Josh Beckett, who hadn't allowed a homer since May 10 -- 12 starts --, served up three long balls on Wednesday. He surrendered a season-high eight runs on eight hits and two walks in five innings.
Adrian Gonzalez racked up three doubles, three RBI and three runs scored and Will Middlebrooks added a three-run shot for Boston, which went 4-6 on its 10- game homestand.
Soto cracked a two-run homer into the seats in left in the sixth and Cruz added a solo shot in the seventh to make it 9-5, but the Red Sox battled back and knotted the contest at nine following a four-run home half against Roy Oswalt, whose ERA rose to 6.53.
Gonzalez smoked an RBI double down the right-field line and Middlebrooks smacked a three-run shot off the Sports Authority logo in left.
"Great comeback, guys battled all day long," said Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine.
But the Rangers went ahead again in the ninth.
Andrus walked and Hamilton singled against Clayton Mortensen (1-1) to put runners on the corners with none out. With Alfredo Aceves on the mound, Beltre brought Andrus home with a sacrifice fly to center, providing Texas a 10-9 edge. Cruz almost gave the Rangers with some insurance when he launched a towering fly ball down the left-field line, but it landed just foul to keep it a one-run game.
"We prefer to have it a little lower-scoring games. I know a hot topic is always our offense," Rangers designated hitter Michael Young said.
Alexi Ogando (2-0) tossed two scoreless innings in relief to pick up the win, while Joe Nathan worked around a one-out double in the ninth to notch his 23rd save of the year.
Earlier, Hamilton belted a two-run triple into the triangle in right-center and Beltre's sacrifice fly made it 3-0 in favor of Texas in the opening frame, but the Red Sox answered with a pair of runs in the home half when Gonzalez lined an RBI double to right and Cody Ross grounded a run-scoring base hit through the hole on the right side, cutting the deficit to 3-2.
Ross' two-out solo shot over Green Monster in left tied the game in the third, but the Rangers regained the lead following a three-run fifth.
Moreland led off the frame with a blast to center and after Elvis Andrus singled, Hamilton hammered a two-run homer down the right-field line, giving Texas a 6-3 advantage.
Gonzalez banged an RBI double high off the Green Monster in the home half and scored later in the inning with the bases loaded on a passed ball, pulling Boston within 6-5.
Texas starter Matt Harrison lasted just 4 2/3 innings, allowing five runs -- four earned -- on eight hits and three walks...Hamilton is hitting .341 with three homers and 14 RBI in his last 10 games at Fenway Park...Texas was 2- for-7 with runners in scoring position, while Boston finished 3-for-13.
- TEXAS: 10
Aug 8 5:07 PM
- Adrian Beltre sacrifice fly to center scored Elvis Andrus with one out. Runner on first and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 10, Red Sox 9 Top 9, 1 OutAug 8 4:47 PM
- Will Middlebrooks none-out, three-run Home Run (15) to left scored Adrian Gonzalez and Cody Ross. Ryan Lavarnway due up.
Rangers 9, Red Sox 9 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 8 4:15 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez doubled to right scoring Dustin Pedroia with none out. Runner on second and Cody Ross due up.
Rangers 9, Red Sox 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 8 4:09 PM
- Nelson Cruz two-out, solo Home Run (18) to left. Michael Young due up.
Rangers 9, Red Sox 5 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 8 4:00 PM
- Geovany Soto none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored David Murphy. Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 8, Red Sox 5 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 8 3:35 PM
- Kelly Shoppach struck out swinging to end the inning.
Rangers 6, Red Sox 5 End 5Aug 8 3:27 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez doubled to left scoring Carl Crawford with one out. Runner on second and Cody Ross due up.
Rangers 6, Red Sox 4 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 8 3:14 PM
- Josh Hamilton one-out, two-run Home Run (30) to right scored Elvis Andrus. Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 6, Red Sox 3 Top 5, 1 OutAug 8 3:04 PM
- Mitch Moreland lead-off Home Run (12) to center. Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 4, Red Sox 3 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 8 3:00 PM
- Cody Ross two-out, solo Home Run (17) to left. Will Middlebrooks due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 8 2:41 PM
- Cody Ross singled to second scoring Adrian Gonzalez with two out. Runner on first and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 8 1:59 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez doubled to right scoring Dustin Pedroia with two out. Runner on second and Cody Ross due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 8 1:57 PM
- Adrian Beltre sacrifice fly to left scored Josh Hamilton with one out. None on and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 8 1:46 PM
- Josh Hamilton tripled to center scoring Ian Kinsler and Elvis Andrus with none out. Runner on third and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 2, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 8 1:45 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 8 1:36 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21