De Aza, White Sox power past TwinsMay 25, 2012 - 5:14 AM
Paul Konerko and Alex Rios hit back-to-back solo homers to start the sixth while Dayan Viciedo and A.J. Pierzynski each added solo shots for the White Sox, who have won six of their last seven.
Philip Humber lasted just 4 1/3 innings in the start as he was tagged for five runs on six hits along with three walks and four strikeouts. Nate Jones (2-0) got the win after pitching 1 2/3 innings without getting charged with a run.
Justin Morneau hit a two-run and solo home run while Joe Mauer added a solo homer for the Twins, who have lost three of four.
Cole De Vries (0-1) lost his MLB debut after giving up six runs -- three earned -- on six hits with a walk and four strikeouts over five-plus innings.
"I was happy that I went out there and competed pretty well. Obviously I made some mistakes and those are the ones they capitalized on," he said.
A four-run fifth inning had given Minnesota a 5-4 lead, but the White Sox went up for good in the sixth.
Konerko worked a full count before slamming a pitch over the left-field wall to start the frame and Rios followed suit with a shot to left. Later with the bases loaded, De Aza crushed a 1-0 pitch over the right-field wall for a 10-5 lead.
De Aza had a home run overturned in the fifth inning by a replay that showed the ball had just barely gone foul. He said he was trying to homer in the sixth.
"I was just trying to hit the ball as hard as I can," he said.
Morneau got one back in the seventh with a leadoff homer, but Viciedo countered with one of his own in the eighth.
Morneau's two-run shot in the ninth accounted for the final score.
Pierzynski hit a one-out, solo home run in the second to give Chicago the lead, but Jamey Carroll tied the game in the top of the third on an RBI single.
Konerko hit an RBI single and Rios followed with a two-run double in the third for a 4-1 advantage.
The fifth saw the Twins take the lead as a wild pitch scored Denard Span and Mauer followed with his second home run of the season, a solo shot to dead center. After the next two batters reach base, Jones took the mound and gave up a two-run single to Brian Dozier. Alexi Casilla then doubled, but Dozier was thrown out trying to score.
Chicago hosts Cleveland for three games starting on Friday...Minnesota returns home to face Detroit for a three-game set beginning on Friday...Each team won nine games in the series last season.
- MINNESOTA: 8
May 24 11:23 PM
- Justin Morneau one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (8) to right center scored Joe Mauer. Brian Dozier due up.
Twins 8, White Sox 11 Top 9, 1 OutMay 24 11:20 PM
- Dayan Viciedo lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Alexei Ramirez due up.
Twins 6, White Sox 11 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 24 11:00 PM
- Justin Morneau lead-off Home Run (7) to center. Brian Dozier due up.
Twins 6, White Sox 10 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 24 10:31 PM
- Adam Dunn popped out to short to end the inning.
Twins 5, White Sox 10 End 6May 24 10:28 PM
- Alex Rios lead-off Home Run (3) to left. A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Twins 5, White Sox 6 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 24 10:12 PM
- Paul Konerko lead-off Home Run (10) to left. Alex Rios due up.
Twins 5, White Sox 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 24 10:10 PM
- Brian Dozier single to center scored Josh Willingham and Justin Morneau with one out. Runner on first with one out and Alexi Casilla due up.
Twins 5, White Sox 4 Top 5, 1 OutMay 24 9:39 PM
- Joe Mauer one-out, solo Home Run (2) to center. Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 3, White Sox 4 Top 5, 1 OutMay 24 9:31 PM
- Philip Humber wild pitch scored Denard Span with one out. None on with one out and Joe Mauer at the plate.
Twins 2, White Sox 4 Top 5, 1 OutMay 24 9:29 PM
- Alex Rios double to left scored Gordon Beckham and Paul Konerko with two out. Runner on third with two outs and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Twins 1, White Sox 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 24 9:10 PM
- Paul Konerko single to center scored Alejandro De Aza with two out. On the play, Gordon Beckham advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Alex Rios due up.
Twins 1, White Sox 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 24 9:09 PM
- Jamey Carroll single to right scored Alexi Casilla with one out. Runner on first with one out and Denard Span due up.
Twins 1, White Sox 1 Top 3, 1 OutMay 24 8:46 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Dayan Viciedo due up.
Twins 0, White Sox 1 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 24 8:35 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 24 8:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22