Chatwood, Rockies shut out GiantsAug 11, 2012 - 6:40 AM
Chatwood (2-2) gave up three hits and two walks while striking out two over five innings for the Rockies, who have won three of their last four. Adam Ottavino pitched two innings, Matt Belisle went 1-2-3 in the eighth and Rafael Betancourt worked a perfect ninth for his 20th save of the season.
"I think what we got was a glimpse of what this potentially can look like if we get him to the point where he gains consistent command," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said of Chatwood.
Dexter Fowler, Tyler Colvin and Chris Nelson each drove in a run in the win.
Tim Lincecum (6-12) saw his two-start winning streak stopped as he gave up three runs on six hits over seven innings for the Giants, who have dropped their past two and fell into a tie with Los Angeles for first place in the NL West. Brandon Crawford had two of the three hits.
"All of us are out there doing our best everyday," said Lincecum. "We just couldn't get anything together tonight."
Colorado plated a run in the third. D.J. LeMahieu singled to start the inning and moved to second on a sac bunt from Chatwood. After Eric Young walked, Josh Rutledge hit into a fielder's choice that left runners at the corners and Fowler singled home LeMahieu.
The fourth inning saw the Rockies take a 2-0 lead as Wilin Rosario doubled with one out, moved to third on Jordan Pacheco's groundout and came home on a Colvin single.
Colvin singled to start the seventh, stole second, went to third on a LeMahieu sac bunt and scored on Nelson's pinch-hit sac fly.
Meanwhile, the Giants couldn't get anything going at the plate.
Crawford's one-out single in the third was the first hit of the game for the team and he was left at second when Angel Pagan grounded out to end the frame.
The Giants left men at first and third in the fifth after Lincecum struck out, then stranded another man on base in the sixth.
With Ottavino on the mound to start the seventh, Brandon Belt and Ryan Theriot walked with one out. That was it, though, as Crawford struck out and Buster Posey, pinch-hitting for Lincecum, flied out to end the frame.
Belisle and Betancourt set the Giants down quietly in the final two innings.
San Francisco has won six of the nine games with Colorado this season...Lincecum fell to 9-7 in 21 starts against Colorado...The Giants were 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left six men on base.
- COLORADO: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Aug 11 1:15 AM
- Eric Young Jr. flied out to center to end the inning.
Rockies 3, Giants 0 Mid 7Aug 11 12:29 AM
- DJ LeMahieu struck out swinging to end the inning.
Rockies 2, Giants 0 Mid 4Aug 10 11:35 PM
- Dexter Fowler singled to left center scored DJ LeMahieu. On the play, Fowler was thrown out trying to advance to second to end the inning.
Rockies 1, Giants 0 Mid 3Aug 10 11:15 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 10 10:37 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21