Giants increase lead in NL West with win over RockiesSep 12, 2012 - 6:34 AM
Marco Scutaro and Angel Pagan each plated a run, while starter Madison Bumgarner smacked a three-run homer for the Giants, who have won three of five and own a 6-game lead over the Dodgers atop the NL West.
"We have to keep focusing on what we're doing," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "This was a hard-fought game. Typical Coors Field game and we held on."
George Kontos (2-1) earned the victory after striking out the final two hitters in the fifth in relief of Bumgarner, who gave up five runs on 11 hits over 4 1/3 frames.
Carlos Torres (4-2) was tagged with the loss after giving up four runs on four hits over two innings of relief work.
Tyler Colvin launched a pinch-hit, two-run homer in the ninth, but the Rockies lost for the sixth time in their last seven games.
"It's really encouraging to see young people performing offensively against some of the teams that we've been playing against in the manner in which they've performed," Colorado manager Jim Tracy said of his club's effort.
With the game locked at 4-4 entering the fifth, Scutaro singled into right field and Buster Posey worked a walk two batters later before Belt laced a two-out double into the left-field corner to give the Giants a 6-4 edge.
Colorado battled back in the bottom half on Matt McBride's RBI single, but Kontos entered and fanned back-to-back hitters to escape the fifth.
Pagan scorched an RBI triple into right-center field in the sixth and then crossed home on Scutaro's sacrifice fly before Belt launched a two-out homer in the top of the seventh to extend the lead to 9-5.
In the eighth, pinch-hitter Charlie Blackmon and Dexter Fowler smacked back- to-back singles before Santiago Casilla replaced Jeremy Affeldt.
After a force out at second put runners on the corners, Carlos Gonzalez laced a single into left field to plate Blackmon, but Casilla got Wilin Rosario to ground into an inning-ending double-play to end the threat.
Sergio Romo yielded a two-out single to McBride in the ninth before Colvin crushed a fastball into the right-field seats trim the margin to one.
Javier Lopez entered and got pinch-hitter Jason Giambi to pop out weakly to third base to secure the victory and nail down his seventh save of the season.
Earlier in the game, Colorado scored in the second when Jordan Pacheco clubbed a one-out double and quickly scored on Chris Nelson's base hit.
Colorado starter Jhoulys Chacin ripped a leadoff double in the third and Fowler followed with a bunt single. Josh Rutledge's double-play groundout scored Chacin before Gonzalez doubled and quickly crossed home on Rosario's base hit to center field.
Pacheco followed with a single to score Rosario and make it a 4-0 contest.
San Francisco answered with four in the fourth, as Posey singled, moved to third on Pence's base hit and then scored on Belt's groundout.
Gregor Blanco then singled and, after Brandon Crawford grounded out, Bumgarner helped his own cause with a long drive into the left-field seats to knot the game at 4-4.
Pagan tied a San Francisco record for triples in a season (12) ... Rockies reliever Rob Scahill made his major league debut in the ninth inning. He allowed one hit ... Chacin was charged for four runs on six hits and a walk over four innings.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 9
Sep 12 12:25 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Tyler Colvin two-out, two-run Home Run (18) to right scored Matt McBride. Rob Scahill due up.
Giants 9, Rockies 8 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 12 12:21 AM
- Wilin Rosario grounded into a double play, second to short to first. On the play, Carlos Gonzalez out at second to end the inning.
Giants 9, Rockies 6 End 8Sep 11 11:57 PM
- Brandon Belt two-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Gregor Blanco due up.
Giants 9, Rockies 5 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 11 11:19 PM
- Marco Scutaro sacrifice fly to center scored Angel Pagan. None on with two outs and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 8, Rockies 5 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 11 10:59 PM
- Angel Pagan triple to right center scored Francisco Peguero. Runner on third with one out and Marco Scutaro due up.
Giants 7, Rockies 5 Top 6, 1 OutSep 11 10:57 PM
- Matt McBride single to left center scored Wilin Rosario. On the play, Chris Nelson advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Giants 6, Rockies 5 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 11 10:38 PM
- Brandon Belt double to left scored Marco Scutaro and Buster Posey. On the throw, Brandon Belt advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Gregor Blanco due up.
Giants 6, Rockies 4 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 11 10:26 PM
- Madison Bumgarner two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Gregor Blanco and Brandon Crawford. Angel Pagan due up.
Giants 4, Rockies 4 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 11 9:58 PM
- Brandon Belt grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scoring Buster Posey. On the play, Hunter Pence out at second. Runner on first with one out and Gregor Blanco due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 4 Top 4, 1 OutSep 11 9:51 PM
- Jordan Pacheco single to right center scored Wilin Rosario. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Nelson due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 11 9:39 PM
- Josh Rutledge grounded into a double play, short to second to first scoring Jhoulys Chacin. On the play, Dexter Fowler out at second. None on with two outs and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 11 9:33 PM
- Madison Bumgarner singled to center. Runner on first with one out and Angel Pagan due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 1 Top 3, 1 OutSep 11 9:17 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 11 8:42 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21