Nats wait out rain to rally past MarlinsSep 9, 2012 - 1:18 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Jayson Werth tied the game in the bottom of the ninth inning with a solo homer and pinch-hitter Corey Brown won it in the 10th with an RBI single, as the Washington Nationals rallied past the Miami Marlins, 7-6.
The Marlins held a 6-5 lead heading into the bottom of the ninth when the game was delayed due to rain. When the contest got back underway over 2 1/2 hours later, Werth homered off Heath Bell to tie the game.
"Once I got (the count) to 2-2, I figured he wasn't gonna mess around with any breaking stuff," Werth said. "He's got a good fastball, he likes to work up in the zone. I got a pitch that was up just enough."
The Nationals won the contest during their next at-bat. Chad Gaudin (3-2) gave up singles to Adam LaRoche and Ian Desmond before intentionally walking Danny Espinosa to load the bases. LaRoche was thrown out at home when Kurt Suzuki grounded into a fielder's choice. Brown stepped to the plate and hit a fly ball to right. Giancarlo Stanton tried to make the catch on the run, but the ball bounced out of his glove.
"It's frustrating and embarrassing and tired, losing games day in and day out the way we lose games," Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said. "We battle back all day, wait for three hours and lose a game like that. That doesn't hurt. It (ticks) you off. You feel like you're wasting a day of your life at the ballpark, getting paid for."
Jesus Flores, Bryce Harper and Ryan Zimmerman also homered for the Nationals, who bounced back from a 9-7, 10-inning loss in the series opener on Friday.
Ross Detwiler got the start for Washington and was charged with five runs -- three earned -- on seven hits in five innings. Drew Storen (2-1) got the win after tossing a perfect 10th inning.
Washington took the field Saturday just hours after learning that blossoming ace Stephen Strasburg will be shut down for the rest of the season. It was widely known that Strasburg would be shut down some time in September, as the club had decided to limit his innings in his first full season following Tommy John surgery.
Gorkys Hernandez and Stanton hit first-inning homers for the Marlins, who had a two-game winning streak snapped.
Miami starter Mark Buehrle worked seven innings and allowed three runs on five hits.
The Marlins headed to the eighth with a 6-3 lead.
A.J. Ramos took over for Buehrle to start the inning and hit Harper with a pitch. Zimmerman followed with a drive into the left field seats for his 20th homer to make it a one-run game.
Michael Morse singled and LaRoche greeted new pitcher Mike Dunn with a base hit. Ryan Webb was next on the mound for Miami and he got Desmond to hit into a force play for the first out, leaving runners on the corners. Desmond then stole second, but Webb fanned Espinosa and walked Chad Tracy intentionally before striking out Roger Bernadina to keep the Marlins in front.
But Miami blew the game following the rain delay.
Hernandez started the game with his second home run of the season and Stanton made it 2-0 with a two-out blast, his 32nd. Both homers came after borderline calls that went against Detwiler, and Nationals pitcher Gio Gonzalez was quickly ejected after jawing at home plate umpire Todd Tichenor from the dugout.
The Marlins added a run in the second when Donnie Murphy doubled with one out and raced home on a two-out single by Donovan Solano, but the Nationals got one back in the third on Flores' sixth homer and added another in the fourth on an RBI single by Espinosa. Washington left the bases loaded in the fourth after Detwiler grounded out.
Solano walked to start the Miami fifth and Carlos Lee drew a two-out free pass before Justin Ruggiano reached on an error by LaRoche at first base. Solano scored on the play and John Buck singled home Lee to make it 5-2.
Harper connected for his 18th homer in the bottom of the inning, a blast into the second deck in right field, but Solano again gave the Marlins a three-run edge when he scored in the seventh on a two-out error by Zimmerman.
Zimmerman has a 13-game hitting streak ... Buehrle has pitched at least seven innings 14 times this season ... Miami went 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven.
- MIAMI: 6
Sep 8 7:01 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Corey Brown single to right scored Ian Desmond with one out to end the game.
Marlins 6, Nationals 7 Bot 10, 1 OutSep 8 7:00 PM
- Jayson Werth lead-off Home Run (5) to center. Bryce Harper due up.
Marlins 6, Nationals 6 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 8 6:33 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman none-out, two-run Home Run (20) to left scored Bryce Harper. Michael Morse due up.
Marlins 6, Nationals 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 8 3:18 PM
- Justin Ruggiano reached first on Ryan Zimmerman's error scoring Donovan Solano with two outs. On the play, Carlos Lee advances to third. Runners on first and third and John Buck due up.
Marlins 6, Nationals 3 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 8 3:01 PM
- Bryce Harper one-out, solo Home Run (18) to right center. Ryan Zimmerman due up.
Marlins 5, Nationals 3 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 8 2:31 PM
- Jayson Werth flied out to left. None on with one out and Bryce Harper due up.
Marlins 5, Nationals 2 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 8 2:30 PM
- Justin Ruggiano reached first on Adam LaRoche's fielding error scoring Donovan Solano with two outs. On the play, Carlos Lee advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and John Buck due up.
Marlins 4, Nationals 2 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 8 2:26 PM
- Ross Detwiler grounded into a fielder's choice to third. On the play, Danny Espinosa out at third to end the inning.
Marlins 3, Nationals 2 End 4Sep 8 2:15 PM
- Jesus Flores lead-off Home Run (6) to left. Ross Detwiler due up.
Marlins 3, Nationals 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 8 1:51 PM
- Jose Reyes flied out to right to end the inning.
Marlins 3, Nationals 0 Mid 2Sep 8 1:36 PM
- Carlos Lee singled to center. Runner on first with two outs and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Marlins 2, Nationals 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 8 1:21 PM
- Donovan Solano flied out to center. None on with one out and Jose Reyes due up.
Marlins 1, Nationals 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 8 1:10 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 8 1:07 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21