Sanchez lifts Giants over Brewers in extrasMay 7, 2012 - 3:43 AM
Facing Tim Dillard (0-1), Buster Posey started the frame with a single up the middle before Angel Pagan dropped down a perfect sacrifice bunt to move pinch- runner Emmanuel Burriss to second. Brandon Belt was intentionally walked and Ryan Theriot also walked to load the bases. Sanchez got ahead in the count 3-0 before slicing a 3-2 sinker into left to plate Burriss.
Javier Lopez (3-0) recorded the final out of the top of the 11th to earn the win.
"We came from a tough three games with the Marlins and we wanted to be able to head to LA with a victory," Pagan said. "We feel good about it."
Conor Gillaspie, Angel Pagan and Theriot all knocked in runs for the Giants, who took the last two games of this series after dropping four straight.
Aramis Ramirez drove home two runs and Travis Ishikawa added an RBI double for the Brewers, who have lost four of their last five contests.
Milwaukee entered the ninth trailing, 3-2, but Corey Hart led off the inning and reached on a fielding error by Gillaspie at third. After Jonathan Lucroy fanned and Taylor Greene popped out, Ishikawa -- a former Giant -- burned his old team by ripping a 3-2 pitch from Santiago Casilla into center field. The ball got past a drawn in Pagan and Hart was able to score,
Earlier, the Brewers struck first in their first at-bat. Nyjer Morgan coaxed a leadoff walk, stole second and after back-to-back strikeouts by Rickie Weeks and Ryan Braun, Ramirez came through with an RBI base hit to put the Brewers on top.
It would not last long though, as the Giants answered with a pair of runs in the home half of the frame.
Gregor Blanco walked to start the rally and came all the way around to tie the game on a double into the right-center field gap by Gillaspie. Melky Cabrera followed with a single into left to put runners on the corners and after a Posey strikeout, Pagan grounded into a fielder's choice to bring home Gillaspie for a 2-1 Giants edge.
San Francisco tacked on a run in the fourth when Pagan drove a double to left to begin the inning and came around to score on a base hit by Theriot.
The Brewers got a run back in the sixth when Weeks ripped a one-out double and Braun followed with a single to put men on the corners. Ramirez then lofted a sacrifice fly to right which scored Weeks to make it 3-2.
"Everything is going to have to go like it did last year, where on both sides of the ball we do what we're capable of doing," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "I really believe we are (a good baseball team) regardless of injuries, we still have a good enough team that we can win."
San Francisco finished its 9-game homestand with a record of 4-5...Following Sunday's game, the Giants will embark on a 6-game road trip through Los Angeles and Arizona...Pagan extended his hitting streak to 20 games. He and Pablo Sandoval became just the third pair of Giants teammates to have hit safely in at least 20 games in the same season in Giants franchise history and the first to do it since the team moved to San Francisco...Atlanta's Freddie Freeman (20 games) and Dan Uggla (33) are the last pair of teammates to have 20-plus game hit streaks in the same season (2011)...Giants starter Matt Cain gave up two runs on six hits and one walk while fanning 10 over seven innings. It was the ninth career 10-strikeout game for Cain...Brewers starter Shaun Marcum yielded three runs on five hits and two walks while whiffing three in six frames.
- MILWAUKEE: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 4
May 6 7:46 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Hector Sanchez single to left scored Emmanuel Burriss to win the game.
Brewers 3, Giants 4 Bot 11, 1 OutMay 6 7:45 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Travis Ishikawa double to left center scored Corey Hart with two out. Runner on second and Manny Parra due up.
Brewers 3, Giants 3 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 6 6:58 PM
- Aramis Ramirez sacrifice fly out to right scored Rickie Weeks with two out. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to second. Runner on second and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 2, Giants 3 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 6 5:41 PM
- Ryan Theriot single to left scored Angel Pagan with one out. Runner on first and Brandon Crawford due up.
Brewers 1, Giants 3 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 6 5:14 PM
- Angel Pagan's fielder's choice, second to short scored Conor Gillaspie. Melky Cabrera out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Brandon Belt due up.
Brewers 1, Giants 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 6 4:31 PM
- Melky Cabrera singled to left. On the play, Conor Gillaspie advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Buster Posey due up.
Brewers 1, Giants 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 6 4:24 PM
- Aramis Ramirez single to second scored Nyjer Morgan with two out. Runner on first and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 6 4:14 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 6 4:06 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21