Yankees hand Nova ball in matchup versus A'sSep 22, 2012 - 1:04 PM
Nova returned from the disabled list last Saturday and defeated the Tampa Bay Rays, holding them to a pair of runs and four hits in six innings. He also struck out eight and ran his record to 12-7, while lowering his ERA to 4.85.
A 16-game winner a year ago in his rookie season, Nova had been 1-3 with a 8.59 ERA in five starts prior to landing on the DL with right shoulder inflammation.
"It's not that I didn't try to be focused in the past, but a game like today, especially coming back from the DL, you have to do everything you can to win this game," Nova said. "I came from my house mentally prepared to do that."
Nova is 1-0 in two starts versus the A's with a 3.29 ERA.
New York remained a game ahead of the Baltimore Orioles in the American League East on Friday, as Russell Martin's 10th inning home run carried the Yankees to a 2-1 win.
New York held a 1-0 lead entering the ninth, but closer Rafael Soriano gave up a one-out, pinch-hit blast to Brandon Moss to send the game to extra innings.
David Robertson (2-7) then retired the A's in order in the top of the 10th before Martin jumped on the second pitch in the bottom half and launched it into the left-field seats to send the Yankees to their sixth straight victory.
Sean Doolittle (1-1) was tagged with the loss after giving up Martin's solo shot, as Oakland lost for the fourth time in their last five games.
"Our guys scrapped and fought the whole night and then to lose it like that, it's really, really tough," Doolittle admitted.
The A's dropped one game behind the Orioles for the first AL wild card slot, but hold a 3 1/2-game lead over the Angels for the final playoff berth.
Both teams got sparkling efforts from their respective starters, as CC Sabathia fanned 11 over eight scoreless innings of three-hit ball for the Yankees. Jarrod Parker gave the A's eight strong innings of one-run ball with seven strikeouts.
"I think every win from here on out is going to be the biggest win," Sabathia said. "It just feels good to be a part of it."
On Saturday, Oakland will rely on lefty Travis Blackley, who has been pitching mostly in long relief since the end of July. In 12 starts for the A's this season Blackley is 4-3 with a 3.97 ERA.
"Obviously, I'm psyched about it," said Blackley, who is 12-7 with a 4.85 ERA on the year. "It's good to know they trusted me to take the reins when needed. I'll take it like any other game. ... I'm looking to keep the team in the game as long as possible."
Blackley, though, has never faced the Yankees, who are hitting just .255 against lefties this season.
New York has split eight matchups with the A's this season.
- OAKLAND: 9
NEW YORK: 10
Sep 22 6:53 PM
- Raul Ibanez one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (17) to right scored Robinson Cano. Russell Martin due up.
Athletics 9, Yankees 9 Bot 13, 1 OutSep 22 6:25 PM
- Eduardo Nunez sacrifice fly out to center scored Alex Rodriguez with one out. Runner on second and Raul Ibanez due up.
Athletics 9, Yankees 7 Bot 13, 1 OutSep 22 6:24 PM
- With Eduardo Nunez batting, Ichiro Suzuki scored on a Pat Neshek wild pitch with none out. On the play, Alex Rodriguez advances to third and Robinson Cano advances to second. Runners on second and third and Eduardo Nunez at the plate.
Athletics 9, Yankees 6 Bot 13, 0 OutsSep 22 6:23 PM
- Chris Carter one-out, solo Home Run (15) to left. Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 9, Yankees 5 Top 13, 1 OutSep 22 6:05 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes none-out, solo Home Run (20) to left. Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 8, Yankees 5 Top 13, 0 OutsSep 22 6:01 PM
- Jonny Gomes none-out, two-run Home Run (17) to left scored Stephen Drew. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 7, Yankees 5 Top 13, 0 OutsSep 22 6:00 PM
- Chris Carter sacrifice fly out to center scored Yoenis Cespedes with two out. On the play, Brandon Moss advances to second. Runner on second and Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 5, Yankees 5 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 22 3:46 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Raul Ibanez one-out, solo Home Run (16) to right. Jayson Nix due up.
Athletics 4, Yankees 5 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 22 3:12 PM
- Cliff Pennington singled to center scoring Josh Donaldson with none out. On the play, George Kottaras advances to third. Runners on first and third and Stephen Drew due up.
Athletics 4, Yankees 4 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 22 2:38 PM
- Stephen Drew lead-off Home Run (4) to center. Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 3, Yankees 4 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 22 2:07 PM
- With Nick Swisher batting, Alex Rodriguez scored on a Travis Blackley wild pitch. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to second. Runner on second and Nick Swisher at the plate.
Athletics 2, Yankees 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 22 2:01 PM
- Andruw Jones bases loaded walk scored Robinson Cano with two out. Bases loaded and Chris Stewart due up.
Athletics 2, Yankees 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 22 1:41 PM
- Robinson Cano singled to left scoring Alex Rodriguez with one out. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Nick Swisher due up.
Athletics 2, Yankees 2 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 22 1:29 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki one-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Athletics 2, Yankees 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 22 1:21 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes doubled to left scoring Seth Smith with none out. Runner on second and Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 2, Yankees 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 22 1:13 PM
- Seth Smith doubled to left scoring Stephen Drew with none out. Runner on second and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Athletics 1, Yankees 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 22 1:10 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 22 1:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21
- Tanaka helps Yankees beat A's for 4th straight win May 21