Doumit homers as Twins down OriolesMay 12, 2013 - 5:19 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Justin Morneau went 3-for-4 and drove in three runs and Ryan Doumit hit a two-run homer as the Minnesota Twins edged the Baltimore Orioles, 8-5, Saturday in the second test of a three-game set at Target Field.
Joe Mauer had an RBI double and scored three runs and Brian Dozier added a two-run double for the Twins, who saw starter Vance Worley (1-4) pick up his first win of the season after allowing five runs on 11 hits over 5 1/3 innings.
"It was a good night for us," Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire said. "Worley battled. He competed and kept us in there. We needed him desperately to get us at least into the sixth inning."
Matt Wieters hit a solo bomb and had a sacrifice fly and Manny Machado had three hits and an RBI for the Orioles, who have lost two of three.
Steve Johnson (0-1) became the ninth different pitcher to start a game for Baltimore this season and picked up the loss, yielding six runs on seven hits and four walks over four frames.
"The fastball was fine and the changeup came in pieces, but he just couldn't quite get off-speed pitches he could keep them off-balance with," Wieters said of Johnson. "And big league hitters will eventually get on-time."
After Wieters' solo shot in the fourth extended Baltimore's advantage to 4-2, Minnesota took control in the bottom half of the frame.
Chris Parmelee reached base with a swinging bunt back to the pitcher and, following two quick outs, Eduardo Escobar drew a walk to put runners on first and second.
Dozier came through with a two-bagger into the left-field corner, plating both runners and tying the game at 4-4. Mauer was then intentionally walked for the potential of a force out, but the plan backfired when Johnson issued a walk to Doumit to load the bases. Morneau, the next batter, made him pay with a two- RBI single to left to give the Twins a 6-4 edge.
Machado's RBI single in the sixth briefly cut the visitors' deficit to one, but Doumit provided some added insurance in the sixth with a two-out, two-run shot to left-center.
Jared Burton earned his first save of the season with a perfect ninth.
Nick Markakis singled home Machado in the first to give the Orioles a 1-0 lead. Adam Jones followed with a double to put runners in scoring position and Chris Davis poked a single to make it 2-0. Wieters gave the visitors a 3-0 lead with a sacrifice fly to shallow right.
The hosts grabbed two runs back in the third. Mauer doubled to right center, plating Escobar, who hit a double to lead off the frame, and Morneau's RBI single up the middle plated Mauer.
It was Worley's first win in 13 starts dating back to Aug. 1 of last season when he played for Philadelphia ... Baltimore optioned pitcher Alex Burnett to Triple-A Norfolk to make room on the roster for Johnson ... Mauer knocked in his 600th career RBI with his second-inning double.
- BALTIMORE: 5
May 11 9:57 PM
- Ryan Doumit two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left center scored Joe Mauer. Justin Morneau due up.
Orioles 5, Twins 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 11 9:15 PM
- Manny Machado singled to center scoring Ryan Flaherty with one out. Runners on first and second and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 5, Twins 6 Top 6, 1 OutMay 11 9:03 PM
- Justin Morneau singled to left scoring Brian Dozier and Joe Mauer with two out. On the play, Ryan Doumit advances to second. Runners on first and second and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Orioles 4, Twins 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 11 8:33 PM
- Brian Dozier doubled to left scoring Chris Parmelee and Eduardo Escobar with two out. Runner on second and Joe Mauer due up.
Orioles 4, Twins 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 11 8:28 PM
- Matt Wieters one-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 4, Twins 2 Top 4, 1 OutMay 11 8:09 PM
- Justin Morneau singled to center scoring Joe Mauer with two out. Runner on first and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Orioles 3, Twins 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 11 8:02 PM
- Joe Mauer doubled to right center scoring Eduardo Escobar with one out. Runner on second and Ryan Doumit due up.
Orioles 3, Twins 1 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 11 8:01 PM
- Matt Wieters sacrifice fly out to second scoring Adam Jones. On the play, Chris Davis thrown out at second to end the inning.
Orioles 3, Twins 0 Mid 1May 11 7:22 PM
- Chris Davis singled to left scoring Nick Markakis with one out. On the play, Adam Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third and Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 2, Twins 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 11 7:18 PM
- Nick Markakis singled to center scoring Manny Machado with one out. Runner on first and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 11 7:16 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 11 7:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22