Orioles outlast Red Sox in 13 inningsJun 14, 2013 - 6:28 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Chris Davis' RBI single in the bottom of the 13th lifted the Baltimore Orioles over the Boston Red Sox, 5-4, in the opener of a four-game series.
Alex Wilson (1-1), who pitched the 11th and 12th, stayed on to pitch the 13th for Boston. With two outs, Nick Markakis walked and Adam Jones singled to right. Davis followed with a bloop single to left to plate the winning run.
"Long day of travel followed by a long game," Wilson said. "It's just one of those things that seems to be happening a lot this year with everybody."
Davis ended with two RBI for the Orioles, who have won four of five. Danny Valencia hit a solo homer, while Manny Machado and Matt Wieters had an RBI apiece.
"We had some opportunities, we just didn't cash in," said Jones, whose team left 16 men on base. "But that's why we keep grinding. We never gave up."
Baltimore starter Kevin Gausman allowed two runs on six hits while striking out five over 5 1/3 innings. T.J. McFarland (1-0) tossed a scoreless 13th to pick up the win.
David Ortiz and Mike Carp hit back-to-back homers in the fourth for the Red Sox, who went 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position. Stephen Drew and Jacoby Ellsbury each knocked in a run.
Boston starter Felix Doubront gave up four runs -- three earned -- on seven hits while striking out five over 4 2/3 innings.
Valencia led off the third with a homer to left to start a three-run inning for the Orioles. Ryan Flaherty followed with a double down the left-field line, moved to third on a sacrifice bunt and raced home on Machado's single to center. Markakis singled before being thrown out at second on a fielder's choice. Davis' RBI single to right made it a 3-0 game.
Ortiz and Carp hit back-to-back homers in the fourth to make it a one-run contest.
The O's tacked on another run in the fifth. Markakis reached first on third baseman Will Middlebrooks' fielding error and Jones was hit by a pitch. After Davis struck out swinging, Wieters hit an RBI single to left-center field.
The Red Sox used a two-run seventh to tie the game. Daniel Nava, Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Middlebrooks each singled in succession to load the bases with no outs. Drew followed with a sacrifice fly and Saltalamacchia scored the tying run when the Orioles tried to turn a double play on Ellsbury's grounder. Ellsbury just beat the throw to first to allow the run to score.
Baltimore improved to 3-1 against the Red Sox this season ... Boston first baseman Mike Napoli left in the third inning with an illness ... The Red Sox recalled Wilson from Triple-A Pawtucket prior to the game ... The Orioles went 4-for-14 with runners in scoring position ... The Orioles optioned Gausman to Triple-A Norfolk after the game.
- KingHockeyMan ** - .500? More like .350-400 record over the last 2/3 yrs playing on RYWT. I hit wrong #. Playing 'all' games for that day is wrong. No more! Picking 1 or 2 baseball games per day is all I will do now. I have learned my lesson w/picking the days 'baseball games. NHL, NBA, & NFL...YES. ..God Bless all ;-)... .
Red Sox 4, Orioles 5 Final/13Jun 15 12:06 PM
- BOSTON: 4
Jun 13 11:47 PM
- Chris Davis single to left scored Nick Markakis with two out to end the game.
Red Sox 4, Orioles 5 Bot 13, 2 OutsJun 13 11:44 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury ground ball fielder's choice, second to short scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia with two outs. Will Middlebrooks out at second. Runner on first and Shane Victorino due up.
Red Sox 4, Orioles 4 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 13 9:42 PM
- Stephen Drew sacrifice fly to center scored Daniel Nava with one out. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 3, Orioles 4 Top 7, 1 OutJun 13 9:37 PM
- Matt Wieters single to left scored Nick Markakis with two outs. On the play, Adam Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third and J.J. Hardy due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 13 8:55 PM
- Mike Carp two-out, solo Home Run (7) to center. Daniel Nava due up.
Red Sox 2, Orioles 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 13 8:12 PM
- David Ortiz two-out, solo Home Run (14) to right center. Mike Carp due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 13 8:10 PM
- Chris Davis single to right scored Manny Machado with two outs. On the play, Adam Jones advances to second. Runners on first and second and Matt Wieters due up.
Red Sox 0, Orioles 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 13 7:59 PM
- Manny Machado single to center scored Ryan Flaherty with one out. Runner on first and Nick Markakis due up.
Red Sox 0, Orioles 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 13 7:52 PM
- Danny Valencia lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Ryan Flaherty due up.
Red Sox 0, Orioles 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 13 7:48 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 13 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21