Morales helps M's down Halos in extrasJun 19, 2013 - 7:48 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Kendrys Morales drove in the winning run in the 10th inning to lead the Seattle Mariners in a 3-2 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim in the second of a four-game set.
With two outs in the 10th, Kyle Seager smoked a pitch off Garrett Richards (2-4) that just stayed fair down the right field line and he pulled up at second base for a double. Morales followed with a liner that just went off the glove of Erick Aybar at short, landing in shallow center to score Seager for a 3-2 lead.
Raul Ibanez and Justin Smoak homered for the Mariners, who snapped a two-game losing streak. Jeremy Bonderman went six innings in the start and gave up just one run on six hits with three walks. Charlie Furbush (1-3) got the final out of the ninth to pick up the win.
Albert Pujols and Mark Trumbo homered for the Angels, who had won four of five coming in. Joe Blanton tied a season-high with 11 strikeouts and gave up two runs, both homers, on six hits over 6 2/3 innings.
"We didn't execute in a couple areas during the game," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "On the offensive side, guys in scoring position, we had trouble tonight, but we just didn't do enough things during the ballgame to kind of get a handle on it."
Seattle jumped on top in the second as Ibanez smoked a leadoff home run to right, his 14th of the season, and Smoak followed with his fourth of the year, a shot to right, for a 2-0 lead.
"It was good," Smoak said. "Raul going deep right there, then I was sitting dead red on the first pitch and I got a fastball and was able to put a good swing on it."
Trumbo led off the home second with his 16th home run of the season to cut the deficit to one.
Seattle stranded runners at first and second in the fourth, while the Angels left men at the corners in the sixth.
Pujols led off the eighth with his 12th homer of the season, a blast to left field, to tie the game.
The Angels put their first two men on base to start the ninth, but Peter Bourjos looked at strike three, Mike Trout flied out and Furbush took the mound and struck out Josh Hamilton to force extras.
Before the game, Seattle activated first baseman Justin Smoak from the 15-day disabled list and optioned infielder Alex Liddi to Triple-A Tacoma ... Seattle left eight men on base while the Angels went 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position and left nine on base.
- SEATTLE: 3
LOS ANGELES: 2
Jun 19 1:51 AM
- Kendrys Morales single to center scored Kyle Seager. Runner on first with two outs and Raul Ibanez due up.
Mariners 3, Angels 2 Top 10, 2 OutsJun 19 1:40 AM
- Albert Pujols lead-off Home Run (12) to left. Mark Trumbo due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 19 1:03 AM
- Mark Trumbo lead-off Home Run (16) to center. Howie Kendrick due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 18 10:43 PM
- Justin Smoak none-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Mike Zunino due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 18 10:28 PM
- Raul Ibanez lead-off Home Run (14) to right. Justin Smoak due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 18 10:27 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 18 10:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21