Morales delivers in walk-off fashionJun 24, 2013 - 2:03 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Kendrys Morales' pinch-hit three-run homer in the bottom of the 10th inning propelled the Seattle Mariners past the Oakland Athletics, 6-3, Sunday in the conclusion of a three-game series at Safeco Field.
Oakland reliever Grant Balfour (0-1) looked to retire his second straight batter to start the 10th after Mike Zunino struck out swinging. The ball, though, escaped the grasps of his catcher and scurried away, allowing Zunino to reach safely on a wild pitch.
Michael Saunders followed with a single to move Zunino to third before Morales, pinch-hitting for Brendan Ryan, launched a shot into the right-center bleachers.
Raul Ibanez recorded his 18th career multi-homer game and drove in three runs. Oliver Perez (2-1) earned the win after tossing a scoreless top of the 10th. Seattle has won two straight following a three-game skid.
"Its not something that you think about at all," said the 41-year-old Ibanez regarding his age. "You train in the offseason for however long you've been training and do your thing. The age thing, you don't really think about it."
Brandon Moss' eighth inning solo shot tied the game at 3-3 and eventually forced extras. Josh Reddick also drove in a run for the Athletics, who have dropped four of five.
"It wasn't a very good one for us," Athletics manager Bob Melvin said about the team's road trip. "Didn't expect to go 2-5, but there's not much we can do about it now."
Oakland starter Jarrod Parker lasted seven frames, yielding three runs and striking out six.
The A's registered just three hits through their first five turns at bat, but finally found success versus Seattle starter Jeremy Bonderman in the sixth and chased him out of the game.
Seth Smith and Jed Lowrie singled to open up the action and, after a Yoenis Cespedes fielder's choice, Moss singled to center to load the bases. With Josh Donaldson batting, Bonderman tossed a wild offering allowing Lowrie to score.
Donaldson eventually drew a walk and Bonderman was replaced by Danny Farquhar. The first batter he faced, Reddick, grounded out to second, but scored Cespedes to cut the deficit to 3-2.
Bonderman was charged for two runs on six hits over 5 1/3 innings.
Seattle continued to hold the lead and looked to be in great shape in the eighth with two early outs. Moss, though, changed the game by smacking a 3-1 offering from Farquhar over the right-field wall to tie the action at 3-3.
Ibanez gave the hosts an early lead with a two-run shot to right in the first and struck again with another homer -- this time a solo shot -- in the fourth to increase the advantage to 3-0.
Parker is still searching for a career-high fifth straight win. He hasn't lost since May 22 ... Ibanez has two multi-homer games this season and now has 17 homers on the year ... Perez has not allowed a run in his last 11 innings.
- OAKLAND: 3
Jun 23 7:27 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Kendrys Morales one-out, three-run Home Run (9) to right scored Mike Zunino and Michael Saunders to end the game.
Athletics 3, Mariners 6 Bot 10, 1 OutJun 23 7:24 PM
- Brandon Moss two-out, solo Home Run (14) to right. Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 3, Mariners 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 23 6:36 PM
- Josh Reddick grounded out second to first scoring Yoenis Cespedes with two out. On the play, Josh Donaldson advances to second and Brandon Moss advances to third. Runners on second and third and Derek Norris due up.
Athletics 2, Mariners 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 23 6:04 PM
- With Josh Donaldson batting, Jed Lowrie scored on a Jeremy Bonderman wild pitch with one out. Brandon Moss advances to second. Yoenis Cespedes advances to third. Runners on second and third and Josh Donaldson at the plate.
Athletics 1, Mariners 3 Top 6, 1 OutJun 23 6:04 PM
- Raul Ibanez one-out, solo Home Run 2 (17) to right. Franklin Gutierrez due up.
Athletics 0, Mariners 3 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 23 5:50 PM
- Raul Ibanez two-out, two-run Home Run (16) to right scored Endy Chavez. Franklin Gutierrez due up.
Athletics 0, Mariners 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 23 5:26 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 23 5:11 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21