Lackey fans 12, Red Sox down slumping RockiesJun 27, 2013 - 3:32 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Daniel Nava knocked in two runs to back a solid outing from John Lackey, as the Boston Red Sox topped the Colorado Rockies, 5-3.
Shane Victorino had three hits, scored two runs and drove in another for the Red Sox, who swept this two-game interleague set at Fenway Park. Lackey (5-5) allowed two runs on eight hits and matched a career high with 12 strikeouts while failing to walk a batter.
"I've been feeling pretty good. I feel like I'm still getting stronger," Lackey said.
Michael Cuddyer kept clicking on Wednesday, slugging a pair of solo homers to extend his career-high hitting streak to 23 games, tying a Colorado record.
The Rockies as a whole, however, continued to slump and finished a disappointing road trip at 2-7.
Roy Oswalt (0-2) gave up five runs and nine hits over six frames in his second start for Colorado.
The Red Sox answered a Wilin Rosario two-out, RBI single in the top of the first with three runs in the home half. Jacoby Ellsbury doubled to begin the inning and scored on a Victorino single. David Ortiz then doubled home Victorino and hustled home on a two-out base hit by Nava.
Oswalt ran into more trouble in the third as Boston loaded the bases with no outs. Mike Napoli contributed a run-scoring single and Nava lofted a sacrifice fly to put the home team up 5-1.
The red-hot Cuddyer homered to open the sixth and took reliever Junichi Tazawa deep to lead off the eighth. Tazawa shook off the blast to retire the next three batters, and Koji Uehara fanned two in a perfect ninth for his second save of the season.
Lackey also struck out 12 on Sept. 21, 2008 at Texas while with the Angels ... Cuddyer currently shares the record with Dante Bichette, who recorded a hit in 23 consecutive games from May 22-June 18, 1995 ... Ortiz now has 499 career doubles ... The Red Sox have won 12 of their last 16 home games ... Oswalt made his first career start against Boston ... Red Sox reliever Clayton Mortensen was activated from the 15-day disabled list after being sidelined with a right groin strain.
- COLORADO: 3
Jun 26 6:43 PM
- Michael Cuddyer lead off Home Run 2 (13) to left. Wilin Rosario due up.
Rockies 3, Red Sox 5 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 26 6:24 PM
- Michael Cuddyer lead-off Home Run (12) to left. Wilin Rosario due up.
Rockies 2, Red Sox 5 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 26 5:49 PM
- Daniel Nava sacrifice fly to center scored Dustin Pedroia with one out. On the play, Mike Napoli advances to second and David Ortiz advances to third. Runners on second and third with Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Rockies 1, Red Sox 5 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 26 5:03 PM
- Mike Napoli single to right scored Shane Victorino with none out. On the play, David Ortiz advances to second and Dustin Pedroia advances to third. Bases loaded with Daniel Nava due up.
Rockies 1, Red Sox 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 26 5:02 PM
- Daniel Nava single to left scored David Ortiz with two out. Runner on first and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Rockies 1, Red Sox 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 26 4:33 PM
- David Ortiz double to left center scored Shane Victorino with one out. Runner on second and Mike Napoli due up.
Rockies 1, Red Sox 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 26 4:28 PM
- Shane Victorino single to right scored Jacoby Ellsbury with none out. Runner on first and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Rockies 1, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 26 4:19 PM
- Wilin Rosario singled to right scoring Carlos Gonzalez. Runner on first with two outs and Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 26 4:14 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 26 4:07 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21