Angels power past TigersJun 27, 2013 - 5:28 AM Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - Mike Trout and Erick Aybar each had two hits and two-run homers to pace the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in a 7-4 victory over the Detroit Tigers on Wednesday.
Trout knocked in three runs and scored twice for the Angels, who were able to pull out an eighth straight victory against the Tigers despite having scheduled starter Tommy Hanson scratched just before first pitch.
Billy Bucker pitched three innings after recording the last two outs of the Angels' 14-8 win on Tuesday. He surrendered a pair of homers and three runs total on seven hits in the spot start.
"For Buckner to get down there and get loose in a hurry, and for our bullpen to support us the way they did is huge," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia.
Torii Hunter and Miguel Cabrera hit back-to-back homers in the first inning, but the Tigers went just 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position for the contest.
In his third career start, Jose Alvarez (1-1) was tagged for four runs on seven hits and a walk over 5 2/3 frames.
The Angels drew even in the third on Trout's two-run blast over the left field wall, but Prince Fielder put the Tigers back in front, 3-2, during the home half by driving in Hunter, who led off with a double.
Dane De La Rosa (2-1) ended the fourth by striking out Hunter with the bases loaded, and the Angels' defense forced a double play in each of the two following frames to keep the Tigers offense at bay.
Chris Iannetta extended the top half of the sixth with a two-out single, and Aybar followed with a home run to left to put the Angels ahead, 4-3 and send Alvarez to the showers.
The Angels then broke the contest open with a three-run seventh. J.B Shuck walked to start the frame and scored all the way from first on Trout's bloop double into right.
"He is very difficult to get out. He's one of the best in the game. He has speed, he has power and he knows how to play baseball," Tigers catcher Brayan Pena said of Trout.
Josh Hamilton's hard hit grounder to first later plated Trout, who hustled home and beat Fielder's throw to the plate. Alberto Callaspo then drove in a run to make it 7-3, but the frame ended when he was thrown out trying to stretch his hit into a double.
Fielder got run a back for Detroit in the eighth when he led off with a double, moved to third on a groundout and scored on a passed ball, but that was the last of the offense for the Tigers.
Ernesto Frieri recorded his 18th save after working around a one-out single in the ninth.
Cabrera homered for the second straight day and extended his hitting streak to 11 games ... The Angels have won the first five meetings of the season with the Tigers ... Hanson was scratched due to tightness in his forearm ... Buckner is the sixth Angels pitcher to start on zero days rest and the first to start the day after finishing a game since Al Levine in 2001.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
Jun 26 10:14 PM
- Prince Fielder scores on passed ball by Chris Iannetta. None on with one out and Jhonny Peralta at the plate.
Angels 7, Tigers 4 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 26 9:51 PM
- Alberto Callaspo single to center scored Mark Trumbo with two out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo thrown out at second, center to first to short, to end the inning.
Angels 7, Tigers 3 Mid 7Jun 26 9:26 PM
- Josh Hamilton grounded out to first scored Mike Trout with two out. On the play, Mark Trumbo advances to second. Runner on second and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 6, Tigers 3 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 26 9:24 PM
- Mike Trout double to right scored J.B. Shuck with none out. Runner on second and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 5, Tigers 3 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 26 9:19 PM
- Erick Aybar two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Chris Iannetta. Brendan Harris due up.
Angels 4, Tigers 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 26 8:58 PM
- Prince Fielder single to right scored Torii Hunter with one out. Runner on first and Victor Martinez due up.
Angels 2, Tigers 3 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 26 8:03 PM
- Mike Trout none-out, two-run Home Run (13) to left scored J.B. Shuck. Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 2, Tigers 2 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 26 7:50 PM
- Miguel Cabrera one-out, solo Home Run (22) to left. Prince Fielder due up.
Angels 0, Tigers 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 26 7:23 PM
- Torii Hunter one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Miguel Cabrera due up.
Angels 0, Tigers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 26 7:22 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 26 7:08 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22