Halos top Mariners in extrasSep 21, 2013 - 7:03 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Chris Iannetta's RBI single in the 11th inning led the LA Angels of Anaheim to a 3-2 win over the Seattle Mariners in the opener of a three-game set.
In the 11th off of Bobby LaFromboise (0-1), Kole Calhoun singled with one out and was nearly doubled off first when Erick Aybar lined out to center. He got back in time, though, and Aybar roped a pitch off the wall in left-center as Calhoun came home for the winning run.
"I was just looking to get on base, he threw me a slider and I was able to put the barrel on it," said Iannetta.
Andrew Romine went 3-for-4 and drove in the other two runs for the Angels, who have won five of their last six games. Cory Rasmus (1-1) got his first career win for pitching a 1-2-3 top of the 11th.
Michael Saunders brought in both runs for the Mariners, who have lost five of their last six.
"It was a good ballgame, both teams weren't able to get that final big hit until the end," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge. "We were one hit away."
The game stayed scoreless until the seventh inning when the Mariners went on top. With one out, Nick Franklin doubled and Mike Zunino followed with a walk. Two batters later, Dustin Ackley's single loaded the bases and Saunders hit a single to center for a 2-0 lead.
The Angels, though, came back in the bottom of the frame. Mark Trumbo reached on a bad throw from Kyle Seager and Kole Calhoun followed with a walk. Aybar's sac bunt moved both runners up a base and Romine singled them both home to tie the game.
Erasmo Ramirez gave up two runs -- both unearned -- on six hits and a walk in six-plus innings for Seattle. Matt Shoemaker gave up two hits and two walks in five innings for the Angels.
It was LaFromboise's first career decision ... The Angels have won 10 of the 17 games against the Mariners this season ... Seattle was just 2-for-14 with runners in scoring position and stranded 10, while LA was 1-for-9 with RISP and left nine.
- SEATTLE: 2
LOS ANGELES: 3
Sep 21 2:23 AM
- Chris Iannetta singled to center scored Kole Calhoun with two outs to win the game.
Mariners 2, Angels 3 Bot 11, 2 OutsSep 21 2:20 AM
- Andrew Romine single to right scored Mark Trumbo and Kole Calhoun with two out. On the play, Andrew Romine advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second and J.B. Shuck due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 21 12:55 AM
- Michael Saunders single to center scored Nick Franklin and Mike Zunino with two out. On the play, Dustin Ackley advances to third. Runners on first and third and Franklin Gutierrez due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 0 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 21 12:25 AM
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 20 10:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21