Carpenter leads Cards past GiantsApr 8, 2013 - 5:00 AM
On a day that San Francisco was supposed to enjoy and cherish after the organization honored its team prior to the contest with their 2012 World Series championship rings, it was the visiting Cardinals who quickly ended the celebration.
Matt Adams had three hits and two RBI, Allen Craig and Carlos Beltran each had two RBI and Jon Jay scored three times and also drove in two runs for the Cardinals, who erupted for a nine-run fourth inning before cruising to the win.
Starter Adam Wainwright (1-1) bounced back from a 6-2 Opening Day loss versus Arizona on Monday to toss seven innings of two-run, seven-hit ball while striking out six in the victory.
"Pitching against Matt you have to take that 0-0 mentality," Wainwright said. "I cracked first and I thought I had to keep it there for us to have a chance. Our offense did an amazing job. Against a pitcher like that you never expect anything like that."
Angel Pagan had a double and triple to go along with an RBI and Pablo Sandoval had two hits and one RBI for the Giants, who saw starter Matt Cain (0-1) last just 3 2/3 innings and give up nine runs on seven hits -- all in the brutal fourth inning.
"I wasn't as sharp as I was, for some reason, for the first three innings and it just kind of fell apart," Cain said. "I don't know that they changed anything. I just started making some bad pitches and they put good swings together."
The last time the righty faced St. Louis was in Game 7 of the 2012 NLCS, in which he tossed 5 2/3 shutout innings in a 9-0 victory.
Cain was perfect through three innings, but the fourth proved to be vastly different as the visitors took control for good.
Trailing, 2-0, Jay opened up the inning with a single to center and moved to second on an error from Pagan. Following another single, Craig hit a sacrifice fly to right, scoring Jay.
Cain walked Beltran and gave up a single to Yadier Molina. Adams drove the ball to deep right field for a ground-rule double, plating two runs. The inning wasn't nearly done as Ty Wigginton singled to score another run, and Pete Kozma hit a soft liner to right field, scoring Adams to make it 5-2.
After an out and a walk, Carpenter, who would be Cain's last batter faced, singled to right for more two runs. Jose Mijares relieved Cain, but hit the first batter he faced and then gave up a two-run single to Beltran to make it 9-2.
In the eighth, Carpenter hit a shallow fly to center. Pagan dove but missed the ball, allowing Jay to score all the way from first. Craig kept the frame going with a single to left to make it 11-2.
The Cardinals added three runs in the ninth with Kozma's sacrifice fly and Jay's two-run triple. San Francisco scored in the ninth with a pinch-hit single from Guillermo Quiroz.
Pagan doubled to right field in the third to plate Brandon Crawford, who doubled to start the inning. Sandoval then lined one up the middle to bring home Pagan for a 2-0 lead.
Wainwright has allowed three runs over 14 innings in each of his last three starts spanning the regular season and playoffs against the Giants. He is 3-2 in his last six starts overall versus San Francisco ... The Giants sported gold colored numbers on their jerseys and had gold embroidered on the symbol of their hats in honor of the championship ring ceremony.
- ST. LOUIS: 14
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Apr 7 7:33 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Guillermo Quiroz single to center scored Brandon Belt with two out. On the play, Nick Noonan advances to second. Runners on first and second with Andres Torres due up.
Cardinals 14, Giants 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 7 7:30 PM
- Jon Jay triple to center scored Tony Cruz and Ty Wigginton with two out. Runner on third and Marc Rzepczynski due up.
Cardinals 14, Giants 2 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 7 7:19 PM
- Pete Kozma sacrifice fly to right scored Yadier Molina with one out. Runners on first and second with Ryan Jackson due up.
Cardinals 12, Giants 2 Top 9, 1 OutApr 7 7:15 PM
- Allen Craig single to left scored Matt Carpenter with two out. Runner on first and Shane Robinson due up.
Cardinals 11, Giants 2 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 7 7:00 PM
- Matt Carpenter double to right scored Jon Jay with two out. Runner on second and Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 10, Giants 2 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 7 6:58 PM
- Carlos Beltran single to left scored Jon Jay and Matt Carpenter with two out. On the play, Allen Craig advances to second. Runners on first and second with Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 9, Giants 2 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 7 5:50 PM
- Matt Carpenter single to right scored Ty Wigginton and Pete Kozma with two out. On the play, Jon Jay advances to third. Runners on first and third with Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 7, Giants 2 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 7 5:45 PM
- Pete Kozma single to second scored Matt Adams with one out. On the play, Ty Wigginton advances to second. Runners on first and second with Adam Wainwright due up.
Cardinals 5, Giants 2 Top 4, 1 OutApr 7 5:40 PM
- Ty Wigginton single to left scored Yadier Molina with one out. On the play, Matt Adams advances to third. Runners on first and third with Pete Kozma due up.
Cardinals 4, Giants 2 Top 4, 1 OutApr 7 5:36 PM
- Matt Adams ground-rule double to right center scored Matt Carpenter and Carlos Beltran with one out. On the play, Yadier Molina advances to third. Runners on second and third with Ty Wigginton due up.
Cardinals 3, Giants 2 Top 4, 1 OutApr 7 5:35 PM
- Allen Craig sacrifice fly to right scored Jon Jay with one out. Runner on first and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 1, Giants 2 Top 4, 1 OutApr 7 5:31 PM
- Pablo Sandoval single to center scored Angel Pagan with two out. Runner on first and Buster Posey due up.
Cardinals 0, Giants 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 7 5:22 PM
- Angel Pagan double to right scored Brandon Crawford with one out. Runner on second and Marco Scutaro due up.
Cardinals 0, Giants 1 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 7 5:19 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 7 4:40 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21