Ross, Diamondbacks rally past RockiesApr 28, 2013 - 7:23 AM
With runners on the corners, Ross lifted a fly ball deep to the warning track in left-center field, scoring A.J. Pollock without a throw. Pollock stole second earlier in the inning.
"Just picked out the right pitch and the right count and just trust it," Pollock said of the steal.
Ross also had an RBI triple. Pollock went 3-for-5 with a homer and scored twice for the Diamondbacks, winners in four of their last five.
J.J. Putz (2-0) earned the win after tossing a perfect 10th. Starter Wade Miley threw 4 1/3 scoreless innings. He ran into trouble in the fifth after walking a pair and giving up a single to load the bases.
Wilin Rosario went 3-for-4 with a homer and Troy Tulowitzki had two hits and an RBI for the Rockies, losers in five of their last seven.
"It was a very strange game," Colorado manager Walt Weiss said. "When you miss that many opportunities, it's going to come back to haunt you."
Edgmer Escalona (1-1) was charged with the loss after giving up the winning run. Starter Jeff Francis gave up two runs on four hits over five innings.
The Diamondbacks scored a pair of runs in the first inning. Pollock clubbed a one-out homer. Miguel Montero followed with a single two batters later then scored when Ross ripped a triple to right field.
Rosario hit a leadoff homer in the sixth inning to pull the Rockies within 2-1.
Colorado added another run in the seventh to tie the game. Dexter Fowler doubled then moved to third on a Jordan Pacheco ground out. After Carlos Gonzalez popped out, Tulowitzki laced a base hit to center to push Fowler across.
Miley became the first pitcher in Arizona history to walk at least four batters in an inning without yielding a run. He is also the first pitcher since the Reds' Francisco Cordero did so on Sept. 27, 2011 ... Ross has six game-ending RBI in his career ... Arizona outfielder Gerardo Parra extended his career-high hitting streak to 12 games ... Rosario has homered in back-to- back games for the second time this season ... Tulowitzki was 1-for-18 against Heath Bell prior to his single in the seventh inning.
- COLORADO: 2
Apr 27 11:41 PM
- Cody Ross sacrifice fly to center scored A.J. Pollock with two outs to end the game.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 10, 2 OutsApr 27 11:39 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki single to center scored Dexter Fowler with two outs. On the play, Tulowitzki thrown out at second, center to second to end the inning.
Rockies 2, Diamondbacks 2 Mid 7Apr 27 10:24 PM
- Wilin Rosario lead-off Home Run (6) to left. Josh Rutledge due up.
Rockies 1, Diamondbacks 2 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 27 9:59 PM
- Cody Ross triple to right scored Miguel Montero with two outs. Runner on third and Gerardo Parra due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 27 8:34 PM
- A.J. Pollock one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Rockies 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 27 8:29 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 27 8:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21