Giants take another close one from Dodgers to finish sweepMay 6, 2013 - 4:45 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Matt Cain tossed 7 1/3 innings of one-run ball to earn his first win of the year, and Hunter Pence smacked two doubles and drove in four in the San Francisco Giants' 4-3 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers to complete a three-game sweep.
Cain (1-2), who was a 16-game winner last year, fanned four and surrendered five hits while walking three for San Francisco, which has won six straight on the heels of a five-game skid.
"He got us into the eighth inning, and as usual our boys are entertaining and made it close again. But I was happy for Matt the way he threw the ball," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
Cain had 6.79 earned run average entering Sunday's tilt.
Hyun-Jin Ryu (3-2) allowed four runs on eight hits and two walks over six frames for the Dodgers, who have dropped four contests in a row.
"I feel better about our club walking out of here right now than I did walking in," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "We played them tough the whole series."
San Francisco built a 4-0 lead after seven, but a three-run eighth got LA back into the game.
With the bags full and two away in the frame, pinch-hitter Adrian Gonzalez rolled a two-run single back through the box off Jeremy Affeldt to cut the deficit in half. Dee Gordon then reached on an infield single to bring home another run to make it 4-3.
But Jean Machi came on and induced an inning-ending groundout off the bat of pinch-hitter Jerry Hairston. Sergio Romo worked a 1-2-3 ninth to notch his 12th save of the year.
The Giants jumped ahead after plating a run in the first, another in the third and two more in the fifth.
Three straight base hits by Andres Torres, Marco Scutaro and Pablo Sandoval loaded the bases before Torres was thrown out at home on Buster Posey's groundout. But Pence's groundout to shortstop brought home Scutaro for the game's first run in the opening inning.
Scutaro hit a one-out single and Posey's walk two batters later put runners on first and second in the third for Pence, who ripped a double to left to bring home Scutaro.
In the fifth, Sandoval worked a two-out walk and Posey singled to center before Pence poked a Tobago to right for a 4-0 San Francisco advantage.
San Francisco recorded three one-run wins to earn the sweep ... Los Angeles was 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base ... Pence has seven doubles this year.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 4
May 5 11:00 PM
- Dee Gordon single to second scored Juan Uribe with two outs. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Matt Guerrier due up.
Dodgers 3, Giants 4 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 5 10:34 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Adrian Gonzalez single to center scored Matt Kemp and A.J. Ellis with two outs. On the play, Juan Uribe advances to third. Runners on first and third and Dee Gordon due up.
Dodgers 2, Giants 4 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 5 10:32 PM
- Hunter Pence double to right scored Pablo Sandoval and Buster Posey with two outs. Runner on second and Francisco Peguero due up.
Dodgers 0, Giants 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 5 9:38 PM
- Hunter Pence double to left scored Marco Scutaro with two outs. On the play, Buster Posey advances to third. Runners on second and third and Francisco Peguero due up.
Dodgers 0, Giants 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 5 9:04 PM
- Hunter Pence fielder's choice, short to second scored Marco Scutaro with two outs. Buster Posey out at second Pablo Sandoval advances to third. Runners on first and third and Francisco Peguero due up.
Dodgers 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 5 8:19 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 5 8:07 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22