Rockies rough up rookie Magill in rout of DodgersJun 3, 2013 - 12:49 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Dexter Fowler had three RBI and accounted for two of four Colorado homers as the Rockies rolled to a 7-2 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers at Coors Field.
Michael Cuddyer and Todd Helton added solo shots to back seven solid innings from Jorge De La Rosa and help the Rockies claim the rubber match of the three-game series. Cuddyer finished with two RBI in the triumph.
De La Rosa (7-3) held the Dodgers to two runs on six hits while striking out five to move to 5-0 in his five Coors Field starts this season.
All four Colorado homers were served up by Matt Magill (0-1), who endured a rough outing in his first-ever appearance at Coors Field. The rookie, called up from Triple-A Albuquerque earlier in the day to fill in for an injured Hyun-Jin Ryu, walked nine batters and was tagged for seven runs -- six earned -- over six innings.
"You're not going to be able to walk that many people...and have any success," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "(Magill) has to get that worked out."
Skip Schumaker went 2-for-3 and knocked in both Los Angeles runs with a second-inning double.
The Dodgers finished a five-game road trip at 1-4.
Helton put the Rockies ahead for good by leading off the bottom of the fourth with his second homer of the series, with the blast snapping a 2-2 deadlock. Colorado tacked on another run later in the frame, when Jonathan Herrera drew one of Magill's multitude of walks, moved up a base on a De La Rosa sacrifice, then came home on DJ LeMahieu's single to center.
Cuddyer further extended the lead with a monstrous shot into the fountains behind center field in the fifth, and Fowler followed a walk to De La Rosa with his second long ball of the afternoon an inning later to up Colorado's advantage to 7-2.
"I was just looking for a good pitch to hit...and I put the barrel on it," Fowler said.
De La Rosa endured a shaky second inning in which he was touched for a pair of runs, but was sharp thereafter in limiting the Dodgers to just four singles over his final four frames of work.
He was staked to an early edge when Fowler socked Magill's second pitch of the day into the bullpen in right center. LeMahieu then walked and was standing on third not long afterward, having stolen second and advancing further when Dodgers catcher Tim Federowicz's throw sailed into center field. He later crossed the plate on a Cuddyer sacrifice fly.
Los Angeles drew even in the second, with Andre Ethier singling and Luis Cruz working a walk in front of Schumaker's liner down the left-field line that got past a diving Carlos Gonzalez.
Magill became the first pitcher since Hall of Famer Steve Carlton in 1971 to walk at least nine batters and allow three homers or more in a game ... Ryu was scratched due to bruised left foot he sustained while shutting out the Angels on Tuesday ... Schumaker has now hit safely in 10 straight games ... Fowler had the third multi-homer game of his career and second this season (April 12 at San Diego) ... The Dodgers placed catcher A.J. Ellis (oblique) on the 15-day disabled list to make room for Magill ... The Rockies sent closer Rafael Betancourt (groin) to the DL prior to the game, with veteran reliever Manny Corpas promoted from Triple-A Colorado Springs to fill the roster spot.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
Jun 2 6:46 PM
- Dexter Fowler none-out, two-run Home Run 2 (10) to right center scored Jorge De La Rosa. DJ LeMahieu due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 7 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 2 6:00 PM
- Michael Cuddyer lead-off Home Run (10) to center. Wilin Rosario due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 2 5:38 PM
- DJ LeMahieu singled to center scoring Jonathan Herrera with two out. On the play, Dexter Fowler advances to third. Runners on first and third and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 2 5:24 PM
- Todd Helton lead-off Home Run (5) to right center. Nolan Arenado due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 2 5:18 PM
- Skip Schumaker doubled to left scoring Andre Ethier and Luis Cruz with one out. On the play, Skip Schumaker thrown out at third, left to third. None on with two outs and Matt Magill due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 2 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 2 4:41 PM
- Michael Cuddyer sacrifice fly to center scored DJ LeMahieu with two out. None on and Wilin Rosario due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 2 4:30 PM
- Dexter Fowler lead-off Home Run (9) to right. DJ LeMahieu due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 2 4:22 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 2 4:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22