Reds edge Brewers on Bruce's HR in 10thJun 15, 2013 - 4:26 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Jay Bruce's solo home run in the 10th inning gave the Cincinnati Reds a 4-3 win over the Milwaukee Brewers to open a three- game set.
With Burke Badenhop (0-3) on the mound and one out, Bruce stroked a 1-2 pitch to left field and it just cleared the wall to give the Reds the win.
Brandon Phillips and Jack Hannahan each drove in a run for the Reds, who have won four of five and were coming off a 14-inning loss to the Cubs on Thursday.
"Yesterday was a little disheartening and we were out there a long time," said Bruce. "We used a lot of guys and frankly everyone was a little tired today so this was a big win."
Bronson Arroyo gave up three runs -- two earned -- on 12 hits with a walk and five strikeouts over 7 2/3 innings. Alfredo Simon (5-2) pitched a 1-2-3 10th to get the win.
Scooter Gennett and Martin Maldonado each hit a solo home run for the Brewers, who had won five of six coming in. Kyle Lohse was charged with three runs -- one earned -- on five hits over six innings.
The Reds worked a run across in the first as Shin-Soo Choo led off with a double, stole third and easily scored on Phillips' single to left.
In the second, Zack Cozart led off with a single and moved to third on Ryan Hanigan's base hit. Two batters later, Choo hit a chopper to second that Gennett couldn't field, allowing Cozart to score for a 2-0 lead.
Gennett atoned for the error in the third when he led off the frame with his first career home run.
Milwaukee loaded the bases with one out in the sixth and got a run across as Maldonado was hit by a pitch, scoring Aramis Ramirez to tie the game. Arroyo worked out of the jam, though, by getting Gennett to fly out and forcing a fielder's choice from Lohse to end the frame.
"I had the home run and all that, but it's all about winning," said Gennett. "You know, I was up with the bases loaded and didn't get it done."
The Reds, though, went back on top in the bottom of the frame. Todd Frazier singled with one out then moved to third as he stole second and advanced a base on Yuniesky Betancourt's bad throw. Hannahan's sac fly to right plated Frazier for a 3-2 lead.
Maldonado's solo shot to left-center in the eighth tied the game. Milwaukee loaded the bases later in the frame, but Sam LeCure got Jean Segura to pop out and end the frame.
Milwaukee left nine 11 men on base as the team went 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position, while Cincinnati was 1-for-10 with RISP and left eight ... Cincinnati swept a three-game set against Milwaukee at home in May.
- MILWAUKEE: 3
Jun 14 10:25 PM
- Jay Bruce one-out, solo Home Run (11) to left to end the game.
Brewers 3, Reds 4 Bot 10, 1 OutJun 14 10:23 PM
- Martin Maldonado two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left center. Scooter Gennett due up.
Brewers 3, Reds 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 14 9:28 PM
- Jack Hannahan sacrifice fly to right scored Todd Frazier with two outs. None on and Zack Cozart due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 14 8:54 PM
- Martin Maldonado was hit-by-pitch, scoring Aramis Ramirez with one out. Bases loaded and Scooter Gennett due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 2 Top 6, 1 OutJun 14 8:41 PM
- Scooter Gennett lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Kyle Lohse due up.
Brewers 1, Reds 2 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 14 7:54 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo reached first on Scooter Gennett's fielding error, scoring Zack Cozart with one out. On the play, Ryan Hanigan advances to third. Runners on first and third and Derrick Robinson due up.
Brewers 0, Reds 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 14 7:47 PM
- Brandon Phillips single to left scored Shin-Soo Choo with one out. Runner on first and Jay Bruce due up.
Brewers 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 14 7:22 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 14 7:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21