Reds slide past slumping Giants in extrasJul 4, 2013 - 7:24 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Shin-Soo Choo singled in Todd Frazier with the winning run with two outs in the 11th inning to boost the Cincinnati Reds to a 3-2 decision over the San Francisco Giants.
J.J. Hoover (2-5) walked Frazier to start the inning. Chris Heisey then put down a sacrifice bunt. Devin Mesoraco was intentionally walked. After pinch- hitter Ryan Hanigan flied out to right, Choo singled off Javier Lopez (1-1) to an open spot in right field to give the Reds the win, one night after Homer Bailey's no-hitter.
"The guy he got the hit off of is very tough on lefties," Reds manager Dusty Baker said.
Heisey had a solo homer and drove in two runs for the Reds, who moved to the brink of sweeping this four-game series.
Tony Abreu homered for the Giants, who have dropped nine of their last 10 games.
"We have too many guys scuffling right now," manager Bruce Bochy said. "I wish I had a reason to tell you why, but whether they're pressing or trying too hard, I wish I had the answer. I'd get them going."
San Francisco's Barry Zito was lifted after four-plus innings, while Cincinnati's Tony Cingrani pitched into the sixth.
Cincinnati put the first two runners on base in the second inning before Heisey's sacrifice liner to center field.
Cingrani walked Gregor Blanco and Buster Posey in the third inning, but with one out Hunter Pence was called out on an infield fly rule. Second baseman Brandon Phillips allowed the ball to drop. Because runners can advance a base at their own risk, Posey was tagged out as he arrived at second to end the frame.
The Reds ran themselves into an out to end the fourth. Mesoraco singled and then Cingrani doubled to center. Mesoraco ran past third base and was caught in a rundown before being tagged out by Posey.
Blanco walked with two outs in the fifth before Abreu homered for the first time this year, a 442-foot upper deck blast to left.
The hosts wasted a first-and-third chance with nobody out in the bottom of the frame. Jose Mijares struck out Votto before George Kontos was called upon to fan Phillips and Jay Bruce.
Heisey homered to left with one out in the sixth.
The Giants left the bases loaded in the eighth when Manny Parra retired pinch- hitter Joaquin Arias on a fly ball to right field.
Mesoraco singled in the ninth and reached second on a wild pitch from Sandy Rosario. Pinch-hitter Derrick Robinson struck out and Abreu kept it tied by ranging to his right to stop a one-bouncer hit by Choo to record the second out. Zack Cozart flied out to center to send the game to the 10th.
Zito was lifted after throwing 88 pitches ... Giants shortstop Brandon Crawford went hitless in three at-bats and is mired in an 0-for-21 slump. He's 6-for-51 over his last 15 games ... The Giants are 1-8 so far on this road trip and have dropped 10 of their last 11 away contests ... The Giants are 2-for-30 with runners in scoring position in their last seven games.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Jul 3 11:55 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo single to right scored Todd Frazier with two out to end the game.
Giants 2, Reds 3 Bot 11, 2 OutsJul 3 11:49 PM
- Chris Heisey one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Devin Mesoraco due up.
Giants 2, Reds 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 3 9:42 PM
- Tony Abreu two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Gregor Blanco. Buster Posey due up.
Giants 2, Reds 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 3 8:53 PM
- Chris Heisey sacrifice fly to center scored Jay Bruce with one out. Runner on first and Devin Mesoraco due up.
Giants 0, Reds 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 3 7:53 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 3 7:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21