Giants edge Red Sox on bases-loaded walk in 9thAug 21, 2013 - 7:25 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Marco Scutaro's bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the ninth inning brought in the winning run as the San Francisco Giants rallied for a 3-2 victory over the Boston Red Sox in the middle test of a three-game set.
The Red Sox led 2-1 entering the eighth, but Buster Posey's sacrifice fly against Junichi Tazawa tied the contest.
Roger Kieschnick had a one-out single against Franklin Morales (2-1) in the ninth before Joaquin Arias lined out. Pinch-hitter Andres Torres walked and another pinch-hitter, Hector Sanchez, was hit by a pitch to load the bases.
Brayan Villarreal replaced Morales on the mound and walked Scutaro on four straight pitches to plate Kieschnick for the winning run.
"I'm holding back on Koji because if we push across a run, he's going to close the game out," Farrell said of his decision not to bring in the closer Koji Uehara in the ninth inning.
Kieschnick tallied three hits and a pair of runs scored, while Brandon Belt smacked a triple and double among his three hits for the Giants, who have won four of their last six games.
"You take it anyway you can get it and this was a good one," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
Sergio Romo (4-6) tossed a scoreless top of the ninth to pick up the win.
Highly-touted Red Sox prospect Xander Bogaerts made his MLB debut at shortstop, but was hitless in three at-bats before being replaced as part of a double switch in the sixth. The 20-year-old was the youngest Red Sox positional player to make his debut since Dwight Evans in 1972 and youngest shortstop since Luis Alvarado in 1969.
Shane Victorino belted a solo shot for Boston, which has dropped five of its last seven tilts to fall into a first-place tie with the Tampa Bay Rays atop the AL East.
Boston plated a run in each of the first two innings to jump out to a 2-0 lead. Matt Carp had a sacrifice fly in the opening frame and Victorino drilled a leadoff shot down the left-field line that ricocheted off the ambulance to make it 2-0.
San Francisco halted a 16-inning scoreless drought in the fifth on Arias' RBI triple to pull within 2-1.
Jake Peavy surrendered a run on five hits and a walk over 5 2/3 innings in the start for Boston ... Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval was scratched because of back soreness ... Red Sox pitcher Ryan Dempster was suspended five games and fined an undisclosed amount for intentionally throwing at Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez during Sunday's game at Fenway Park.
- BOSTON: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Aug 21 1:18 AM
- Marco Scutaro walk scored Roger Kieschnick with two out to end the game.
Red Sox 2, Giants 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 21 1:16 AM
- Buster Posey sacrifice fly to right scored Marco Scutaro. Runner on first with two outs and Hunter Pence due up.
Red Sox 2, Giants 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 21 12:47 AM
- Joaquin Arias triple to left scored Roger Kieschnick. Runner on third with none out and Ryan Vogelsong due up.
Red Sox 2, Giants 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 20 11:41 PM
- Shane Victorino lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 2, Giants 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 20 10:56 PM
- Mike Carp sacrifice fly to right scored Jacoby Ellsbury. Runners on first and second with one out and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 20 10:23 PM
- BOSTON: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 20 10:15 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21