Belt boosts Giants over RockiesSep 10, 2013 - 6:53 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Brandon Belt singled home the game- winning run in the 10th inning to lift the San Francisco Giants to a 3-2 win over the Colorado Rockies on Monday.
Angel Pagan and Marco Scutaro ripped back-to-back one-out singles to put runners on the corners in the final frame. After Scutaro advanced on a defensive indifference, Belt ripped a 1-2 fastball to center off Adam Ottavino (1-3), scoring Pagan easily.
Belt finished 2-for-5 with two RBI and Buster Posey added a solo homer for the Giants, winners in three of their last four games.
"We want to finish as strong as we can, no matter what situation we're in," said Belt. "I believe there's momentum we can gain that we can carry into next year."
Santiago Casilla (6-2) earned the win after recording the final out in the top of the 10th inning. Starter Tim Lincecum allowed two runs on seven hits and one walk over eight strong innings.
Troy Tulowitzki and Yorvit Torrealba drove in one run apiece for the Rockies, who have dropped four straight.
"We've struggled to score on the road, that's been a trend here," said Rockies manager Walt Weiss. "It's something we're tying to solve. When you score two runs, like we done a handful of times on this trip, it's going to be tough to win games."
The Rockies pushed a run across in the second inning. Nolan Arenado doubled then scored on Torrealba's groundout. Torrealba tapped one just in front of the plate. Posey fielded the ball and fired to first to get the force out, but home plate was left uncovered and Arenado came all the way around from second to score.
Posey, though, made up for the blunder with a leadoff homer in the home half to tie things up.
Colorado responded with a run in the third inning. DJ LeMahieu doubled then scored on Tulowitzki's single.
Belt doubled home Pagan in the eighth inning to tie the game.
The Giants were 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position ... LeMahieu extended his hitting streak to 11 games ... San Francisco improved to 22-24 in one-run games this season ... Colorado was 1-for-7 with RISP.
- COLORADO: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Sep 10 1:22 AM
- Brandon Belt single to left scored Angel Pagan with one out to end the game.
Rockies 2, Giants 3 Bot 10, 1 OutSep 10 1:19 AM
- Brandon Belt double to right scored Angel Pagan with two outs. Runner on second and Buster Posey due up.
Rockies 2, Giants 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 10 12:28 AM
- Troy Tulowitzki singled to center scoring DJ LeMahieu. Runner on first with one out and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Rockies 2, Giants 1 Top 3, 1 OutSep 9 10:53 PM
- Buster Posey lead-off Home Run (15) to left. Pablo Sandoval due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 9 10:38 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba grounded out catcher to first scoring Nolan Arenado. None on with two outs and Charlie Blackmon due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 9 10:33 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 9 10:15 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21