Astros edge CubsJun 23, 2013 - 5:35 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Ronny Cedeno bunted home the winning run in the ninth inning to lift the Houston Astros past the Chicago Cubs, 4-3, in the middle tilt of a three-game series at Wrigley Field.
Earlier in the frame, Justin Maxwell connected on a line drive double to left off Kevin Gregg (2-1) and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt by Matt Dominguez. Cedeno then pushed a perfect bunt up the first-base line to put the Astros on top.
In the home half of the eighth, the calls didn't go the Cubs' way.
Alfonso Soriano doubled and Anthony Rizzo was intentionally walked with one out. Soriano was picked off by Jose Cisnero (2-0) at second on a controversial call which was followed by a Ryan Sweeney single that could have possibly scored Soriano. Welington Castillo was walked to load the bases. Darwin Barney had a 3-1 count and took what appeared to be ball four before flying out two pitches later.
Jose Veras threw a 1-2-3 ninth to collect his 15th save of the year.
J.D. Martinez had a three-run homer for the Astros, who have won seven of their last 10 games.
Bud Norris yielded three runs -- two earned -- on six hits while walking three in six effective innings of work for Houston.
"Bud Norris did a tremendous job for us tonight," said Houston manager Bo Porter. "Cisnero was huge again coming out of the bullpen and we had some great execution tonight. Just a good team win all around."
The Cubs got on the board in the third. Castillo singled and Darwin Barney reached on a fielding error by Dominguez. A failed pickoff attempt moved the runners up a base. Following a groundout, Luis Valbuena hit a two-run single. to right field.
Nate Schierholtz's homer in the fifth gave the Cubs a three-run cushion but it wouldn't last long.
With two outs in the sixth, Jose Altuve and Chris Carter connected on back-to- back singles. Martinez then crushed the ball over the wall in left field to tie the game at 3-3.
Cubs starter Travis Wood, who was cruising until the sixth inning came around, allowed three runs on five hits while fanning five. He is winless in his last four starts.
"He did what he was supposed to do and I didn't do what I was supposed to do," said Wood about Martinez's home run.
Houston was 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position... Chicago was 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position ... Schierholtz's homer was just the seventh against Norris all year ... Barney extended his errorless streak to 62 games.
- HOUSTON: 4
Jun 22 7:08 PM
- Ronny Cedeno sacrifice bunt to pitcher scored Justin Maxwell with two outs. None on with Jose Cisnero due up.
Astros 4, Cubs 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 22 7:01 PM
- J.D. Martinez two-out, three-run Home Run (7) to left scored Jose Altuve and Chris Carter. Carlos Corporan due up.
Astros 3, Cubs 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 22 5:42 PM
- Nate Schierholtz one-out, solo Home Run (10) to right. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Astros 0, Cubs 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 22 5:28 PM
- Luis Valbuena singled in Welington Castillo and Darwin Barney with one out. Runner on first with Starlin Castro due up.
Astros 0, Cubs 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 22 4:52 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 22 4:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Cubs RF Jason Heyward out 3-5 games with side bruise May 21