Indians score 19, beat ChiSox in wild opener of DHJun 29, 2013 - 3:42 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Ryan Raburn went 2-for-5 with a home run and four RBI and the Cleveland Indians defeated the Chicago White Sox, 19-10, in a wild opener of a doubleheader at U.S. Cellular Field.
Drew Stubbs drove in three runs while Mike Aviles, Yan Gomes, Jason Kipnis, Lonnie Chisenhall and Nick Swisher drove in two runs apiece for the Indians, who recorded 21 hits.
Cleveland starter Trevor Bauer lasted just two-thirds of an inning, allowing five earned runs on six hits and a walk. Matt Albers (2-0) threw 2 1/3 innings to pick up the win.
Tyler Flowers had a three-run homer. Adam Dunn and Jeff Keppinger also went deep, and Gordon Beckham also drove in a pair of runs for the White Sox.
Chicago starter Hector Santiago surrendered five runs on seven hits and three walks over 2 1/3 innings. Brian Omogrosso (0-2) gave up nine runs over 2 1/3 innings, becoming the first White Sox reliever to do so since Scott Eyre in 1999.
"You have a five-run lead and you just want to go out and just keep throwing zeroes," said Santiago. "I was trying to pound the zone and it's just one of those things. I felt like I threw enough strikes ... just fell in there and went through a hole."
After falling behind 5-0 in the opening inning, the Indians scored 14 consecutive runs.
The game got so out of hand that outfielder Casper Wells pitched the final inning. He was the only White Sox pitcher to not allow a hit to the Indians.
"You just scratch your head because you don't see that coming," said White Sox manager Robin Ventura. "It's unusual, they club you around."
The Indians scored five runs in the second. Stubbs delivered a two-out, two- RBI single to left. Following a single by Asdrubal Cabrera, Kipnis drove in two with a double to center. Swisher then singled to left to tie the game.
Two innings later, Cleveland scored six more runs. Cabrera hit a leadoff single while Kipnis and Mark Reynolds drew walks to load the bases. Raburn hit a two-RBI single to center.
After Gomes struck out, Chisenhall smacked a ground rule double to right, plating Reynolds. Aviles singled to right-center, bringing Raburn and Chisenhall home. Aviles stole second base, and scored on a triple by Stubbs.
The Indians' offense didn't stop though, as they added three more runs in the fifth on doubles from Swisher, Gomes and Chisenhall.
Chicago responded with four runs across in the home half, highlighted by Flowers' blast to left field off Cody Allen for a 14-9 margin.
Keppinger singled in Dunn in the sixth, but Raburn homered with Reynolds aboard in the next inning.
The Indians added three runs in the eighth with Reynolds and Gomes highlighting the frame with RBI base hits.
Chris Perez was flawless in the bottom of the ninth to end the game.
"I was really proud of our ballclub," said Indians manager Terry Francona. "That was a pretty good effort from being down 5-0 and you're not going to see too many games where you give up five in the first and four in the fifth, and you end up winning. So, that was a heck of an effort."
Chicago started the scoring in the first. Alex Rios hit a sacrifice fly to right. Next up was Dunn, who hammered a two-run shot to right. Two batters later, Jeff Keppinger smashed a 2-2 pitch that sailed into the stands in left. After Brent Morel singled to center and stole second, Beckham scored him on a double to left.
The White Sox had an opportunity to extend their lead after Flowers was hit by a pitch and Alejandro De Aza was walked, loading the bases. However, Alexei Ramirez grounded out to end the frame.
Prior to the game, the White Sox reinstated infielder Conor Gillaspie from the paternity list ... Dunn has 427 career home runs, tying Mike Piazza for 45th all-time ... White Sox pitchers combined to throw 230 pitches while Indians pitchers threw 176 ... Cleveland hit 13-for-25 with runners in scoring position while Chicago went 6-for-8 ... The Indians hit a season-high eight doubles.
- Tyler Flowers struck out swinging to end the game.
Jun 28 9:13 PM
- Yan Gomes singled to center scoring Nick Swisher. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Indians 19, White Sox 10 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 28 8:50 PM
- Mark Reynolds infield single to short scored Asdrubal Cabrera. On the play, Alexei Ramirez' throwing error scored Jason Kipnis. Runners on second and third with one out and Ryan Raburn due up.
Indians 18, White Sox 10 Top 8, 1 OutJun 28 8:47 PM
- Ryan Raburn none-out, two-run Home Run (9) to left scored Mark Reynolds. Yan Gomes is due up.
Indians 16, White Sox 10 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 28 8:16 PM
- Jeff Keppinger singled to left scoring Adam Dunn. Runner on first with two outs and Brent Morel due up.
Indians 14, White Sox 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 28 8:08 PM
- Tyler Flowers two-out, three-run Home Run (8) to left scored Jeff Keppinger and Gordon Beckham. Alejandro De Aza is due up.
Indians 14, White Sox 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 28 7:44 PM
- Gordon Beckham singled to left scoring Dayan Viciedo. On the play, Jeff Keppinger advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs as Beckham advanced on the throw to home and Tyler Flowers due up.
Indians 14, White Sox 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 28 7:39 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall doubled to right scoring Yan Gomes. Runner on second with two outs and Mike Aviles due up.
Indians 14, White Sox 5 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 28 7:22 PM
- Yan Gomes' ground-rule double to right scored Nick Swisher. Runner on second with two outs and Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Indians 13, White Sox 5 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 28 7:20 PM
- Nick Swisher doubled to left scoring Jason Kipnis. Runner on second with none out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Indians 12, White Sox 5 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 28 7:17 PM
- Drew Stubbs tripled to right-center scoring Mike Aviles. Runner on third with two outs and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 11, White Sox 5 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 28 7:05 PM
- Mike Aviles singled to center scoring Ryan Raburn and Lonnie Chisenhall. Runner on first with two outs and Drew Stubbs due up.
Indians 10, White Sox 5 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 28 7:02 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall's ground-rule double to right scored Mark Reynolds. On the play, Ryan Raburn advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Mike Aviles due up.
Indians 8, White Sox 5 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 28 6:59 PM
- Ryan Raburn singled to center scoring Asdrubal Cabrera and Jason Kipnis. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Yan Gomes due up.
Indians 7, White Sox 5 Top 4, 1 OutJun 28 6:55 PM
- Nick Swisher singled to left scoring Jason Kipnis. Runner on first with two outs and Mark Reynolds due up.
Indians 5, White Sox 5 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 28 6:10 PM
- Jason Kipnis doubled to center scoring Drew Stubbs and Asdrubal Cabrera. Runner on second with two outs and Nick Swisher due up.
Indians 4, White Sox 5 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 28 6:09 PM
- Drew Stubbs singled to left scoring Yan Gomes and Mike Aviles. Runner on first with two outs and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 2, White Sox 5 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 28 6:04 PM
- Gordon Beckham doubled to left scoring Brent Morel. Runner on second with two outs and Tyler Flowers due up.
Indians 0, White Sox 5 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 28 5:44 PM
- Jeff Keppinger two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Brent Morel is due up.
Indians 0, White Sox 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 28 5:37 PM
- Adam Dunn one-out, two-run Home Run (21) to right scored Alexei Ramirez. Dayan Viciedo is due up.
Indians 0, White Sox 3 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 28 5:34 PM
- Alex Rios sacrifice fly to right scored Alejandro De Aza. Runner on first with one out and Adam Dunn due up.
Indians 0, White Sox 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 28 5:32 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 28 5:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21
- Royals-White Sox Preview May 21