Boozer, Kirilenko help Jazz beat PistonsNov 22, 2009 - 5:49 AM SALT LAKE CITY(AP) -- Andrei Kirilenko and the Utah Jazz outlasted the Detroit Pistons for their fourth straight victory.
Kirilenko scored six of his 22 points in overtime and the Jazz beat the Pistons 100-97 on Saturday night. Carlos Boozer scored 18 of his 22 points in the second half and overtime to help the Jazz escape a back-and-forth game that produced 17 lead changes and saw no lead larger than five points after halftime.
"It was a tough game for us," said Jazz guard Deron Williams, who finished with 11 assists. "We had to win it on the defensive end and that's what we did."
"I thought Andrei had a great game off the bench," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said. "Boozer made all these free throws and made some key baskets to help us win the ball game."
Boozer was 10 for 10 from the free-throw line and the Jazz capitalized on a large free-throw disparity. They shot 19 more and made 12 more than Detroit. Utah shot 75 percent from line and made its final eight, including all six in overtime.
"Defensively we did a nice job, especially at their house," Pistons coach John Kuester said, "but they got to the foul line 44 times to our 25. So that hurt."
Detroit's Ben Gordon scored 25 points, but missed a potential tying 3-pointer in the final second after two Kirilenko free throws put Utah ahead with 9.8 seconds remaining.
Detroit's Rodney Stuckey scored 18 points, and Charlie Villanueva had 17 points in the Pistons' fourth consecutive loss.
Detroit shot 45 percent from the field, but made just two of nine shots in overtime. The Pistons held a four-point lead after three quarters.
Paul Millsap missed a jumper at the buzzer in regulation after Gordon's two free throws tied it at 90 with 22.1 seconds left.
Utah dressed just nine players and was without starting center Mehmet Okur (flu).
UTAH 100 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Nov 21 11:49 PM
END OF REG 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
DETROIT 24 22 22 22 90
UTAH 27 15 22 26 90 END OF REG
NBA DETROIT AT UTAH
HIGH SCORERS AFTER 4TH QUARTER
DET - BEN GORDON 25, CHARLIE VILLANUEVA 17,
RODNEY STUCKEY 16
UTH - CARLOS BOOZER 18, ANDREI KIRILENKO 16,
RONNIE BREWER 15
Nov 21 11:27 PM
UTAH 64 END, 3RD QTR
Nov 21 10:51 PM
UTAH 42 HALFTIME
Nov 21 10:11 PM
END 1ST QTR 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
CHICAGO 27 27
DENVER 14 14 END 1ST QTR
HIGH SCORERS AFTER 1ST QUARTER
CHI - LUOL DENG 10, DERRICK ROSE 10,
KIRK HINRICH 3
DEN - NENE HILARIO 5, CARMELO ANTHONY 4,
CHAUNCEY BILLUPS 3
NBA END 1ST QTR 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- ----
Nov 21 9:40 PM
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- Owners of Pistons, Cavs trying to bring MLS to Detroit Apr 26
- Raptors' Dwane Casey wins PBWA's Rudy Tomjanovich Award Apr 25
- NBA: No foul on Jackson's shot to end Cavs' win over Pistons Apr 25
- No heartbreak: Cavs' sweep saves Bieber concert in Cleveland Apr 25
- Young Pistons have plenty of potential after playoff berth Apr 25
- Cavs head into second round looking sharp and healthy Apr 25