Shorthanded Lakers beat Nuggets 106-89Oct 23, 2009 - 5:22 AM ANAHEIM, Calif.(AP) -- Playing without their injured inside duo of 7-footers Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum, the Los Angeles Lakers routed the Denver Nuggets 106-89 in an exhibition game Thursday night.
Kobe Bryant had 23 points for the Lakers (6-1), while Lamar Odom had 17 points and nine rebounds.
Carmelo Anthony scored 28 points for the Nuggets (3-4), while Chauncey Billups added 19.
Bynum, out with a strained right rotator cuff, is day-to-day and could play in the Lakers' final exhibition game against Denver in San Diego on Friday. But Bynum said he will "definitely" be back for the season opener Tuesday against the Clippers.
Gasol, an all-star last season, will not play in the preseason finale and it wasn't known whether he would be ready Tuesday.
"Whether he makes it or not, I'm not worried," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said.
Josh Powell had 15 points and six rebounds for the Lakers and Shannon Brown added 10 points.
The player who gave the Lakers the most unexpected lift had to be 7-foot DJ Mbenga, the No. 3 center, who started and had eight points on 3-of-5 shooting and seven blocked shots in 26 minutes.
Denver center Nene finished with three points and six rebounds.
The Nuggets fell behind 52-46 after the Lakers went on an 8-0 run at the end of the first half.
The crowd of 15,206 in the Honda Center was able to see the dramatic end of the Angels' 7-6 win over the New York Yankees in Game 5 of the ALCS in neighboring Angel Stadium when it was broadcast live at halftime.
LA LAKERS 107 FINAL
Oct 23 12:46 AM
LA LAKERS 76 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 23 12:11 AM
LA LAKERS 52 HALFTIME
Oct 22 11:23 PM
LA LAKERS 25 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 22 10:39 PM
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- LeBron says Curry deserves MVP, debates meaning of award May 11
- Stephen Curry is first unanimous NBA MVP, takes honor again May 10
- Kobe Bryant's animated short gets assist from John Williams May 5