Nuggets squeeze by NetsNov 21, 2010 - 7:34 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Carmelo Anthony poured in 28 points and hit the game-sealing free throws in the closing seconds, leading the Denver Nuggets to a 107-103 victory over the New Jersey Nets.
Anthony also had eight rebounds and five assists, while Nene chipped in 22 points and eight boards for Denver, which was coming off a loss at Portland on Thursday.
Brook Lopez led seven Nets in double figures with 20 points and hauled in eight rebounds, but it wasn't enough to stop his team's two-game slide.
"We played very well. I think we were down 13 at one point and came fighting back. Hopefully that's the identity we've created," Lopez said.
The Nets were as close as two several times in the fourth.
Travis Outlaw drained a three-pointer for a 103-101 game with 1:44 to go, and Anthony and Devin Harris traded buckets to keep it a two-point game with 45.2 seconds left.
Lopez was unable to tie it following a miss by Anthony, who grabbed Lopez's errant shot and sank two free throws with 13.5 seconds remaining to clinch the victory.
"We couldn't break away for some odd reason," Anthony said. "But I'm glad we won."
The Nuggets held a 28-25 lead after the first quarter and stayed in front for the entire second stanza en route to a 59-54 halftime advantage.
Denver continued to fend off the visitors in the third, and three-pointers in the final minute by J.R. Smith and Arron Afflalo resulted in an 83-75 cushion heading to the fourth.
Ty Lawson and Smith added 15 and 11 points, respectively, for the Nuggets, who have won four straight in the series...Outlaw netted 15 points for the Nets, who received 14 points apiece from Derrick Favors and fellow reserve Jordan Farmar...Denver had 17 fastbreak points to New Jersey's five.
- NEW JERSEY: 103
Nov 20 11:30 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 75
End of Regulation
Nov 20 10:54 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 54
Nov 20 10:08 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 25
Nov 20 9:37 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Nov 20 9:12 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- Nets hire Hawks assistant Kenny Atkinson as new coach Apr 17
- Company of Russian owner of Brooklyn Nets searched in Moscow Apr 15
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- Tough season and more tough times ahead for the Nets Apr 14
- Playoff destination sealed, Blazers beat Nuggets 107-99 Apr 14