Scola scores 35, Rockets beat PistonsDec 8, 2010 - 6:24 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Luis Scola scored 35 points, including eight during a key fourth-quarter run the Rockets used to earn a 97-83 victory over the Detroit Pistons at Toyota Center.
Scola added 12 rebounds while Kyle Lowry finished with 22 points, 12 assists and six steals for the Rockets, who rebounded from Saturday's overtime loss at Chicago to win for the third time in four December games.
"I think a lot of teams are in the same boat we are," said Rockets head coach Rick Adelman. "You've got to go out and you've got to get these wins at home."
Rodney Stuckey provided 18 points to pace the Pistons, who were coming off Sunday's win over Cleveland. Detroit has not won back-to-back games since mid- November.
"They took the game to us," said Pistons center Ben Wallace. "They were able to come away with a good win. I think they forced us to play their style of basketball."
Former Rocket Tracy McGrady, who signed with Detroit in the offseason, drained a three-pointer to get the Pistons within 78-77 with 8:17 to play.
But less than a minute later, Lowry made two free throws to start a 15-2 Houston run. Scola powered the Rockets during the late stages of the burst, which he ended with a jumper and hook shot.
Detroit missed only three shots in the same span, but turned the ball over three times to facilitate the Rockets. The pivotal stretch gave Houston a 93-79 lead with 3:19 left, essentially securing the win.
Scola scored 10 points during the first quarter to help Houston take a 29-24 edge, and the second quarter involved some wild point swings.
Detroit scored six in a row to take a 43-34 lead about midway through, but Houston ended the half on a 20-2 run. Kevin Martin, who totaled 21 points, finished the turnaround with four free throws to put the Rockets up by nine at the break.
Detroit trailed, 75-66, at the start of the fourth, but quickly got back in the game thanks to Stuckey's three-point play and an Austin Daye three- pointer.
Daye scored 12 off Detroit's bench, while McGrady added 11 points...The Pistons' Richard Hamilton was ejected late in the second quarter after receiving a second technical foul...Martin scored 14 of his points at the foul line.
- DETROIT: 83
Dec 7 10:54 PM
- DETROIT: 66
End of 3rd
Dec 7 10:24 PM
- DETROIT: 45
Dec 7 9:41 PM
- DETROIT: 24
End of 1st
Dec 7 9:05 PM
- DETROIT: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Dec 7 8:42 PM
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27
- Owners of Pistons, Cavs trying to bring MLS to Detroit Apr 26
- Rockets-Warriors Preview Apr 26
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 26
- Warriors-Rockets Game 4: most 1st-round viewers since '02 Apr 26