Westbrook's triple-double carries Thunder past AtlantaJan 1, 2011 - 8:20 AM Oklahoma City, OK (Sports Network) - Russell Westbrook posted a triple-double with 23 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists, as the Oklahoma City Thunder held off the Atlanta Hawks, 103-94.
Kevin Durant added 33 points for the Thunder, who finished their four-game homestand with a 3-1 mark. James Harden tallied 15 points in a reserve role in the victory.
"I thought we played a very good team tonight. They're a physical team, they rebound, they defend as well as anybody we will play this year," said Thunder head coach Scott Brooks. "I thought we did a good job of matching their strength of being physical, as physical as they were."
Jamal Crawford donated 26 points and five steals off the bench for the Hawks, who saw a brief two-game winning streak come to an end. Josh Smith had 23 points and nine rebounds for Atlanta, which also got 16 points and 11 assists from Joe Johnson.
Holding a 21-17 lead with 4 1/2 minutes left in the first quarter, the Thunder went on a 10-2 run to create some distance. Serge Ibaka's hook shot made it 31-19, and Oklahoma City held a 33-24 margin after 12 minutes.
Atlanta scored eight straight points early in the second period to get within five, 39-34. The Thunder maintained their lead and took a 60-53 edge into the locker room.
The Hawks got as close as three in the third, but the home team took an 83-79 lead into the fourth.
Zaza Pachulia's layup to start the final quarter cut Atlanta's deficit to two. But Oklahoma City responded with a 16-6 run to essentially put the game away. Durant made a trio of three-pointers during the surge, including two threes to cap the flurry for a 99-87 lead with over 4 1/2 minutes remaining.
The Thunder swept the home-and-home series with the Hawks last season after Atlanta did the same in 2008-09...The Hawks started a four-game road trip on Friday...Atlanta was without forward Marvin Williams (back).
- ATLANTA: 94
OKLAHOMA CITY: 103
Dec 31 10:21 PM
- ATLANTA: 79
OKLAHOMA CITY: 83
End of 3rd
Dec 31 9:51 PM
- ATLANTA: 53
OKLAHOMA CITY: 60
Dec 31 9:11 PM
- ATLANTA: 24
OKLAHOMA CITY: 33
End of 1st
Dec 31 8:38 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
OKLAHOMA CITY: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Dec 31 8:12 PM
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 23
- Draymond, Westbrook swap barbs over fouls, kicks May 23
- Warriors' Green could face discipline after flagrant foul May 23
- Durant, Westbrook lead Thunder in blowout win over Warriors May 23
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 21
- Warriors' big men must come up big in Game 3 against Thunder May 21
- Donovan, Kerr took very different paths to NBA coaching May 21
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Column: Savor our version of Magic-Bird - Curry vs LeBron May 20
- Stephen Curry's sore right elbow not limiting him on court May 20
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19