Blazers beat Rockets, stay hot at homeJan 3, 2011 - 6:55 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - LaMarcus Aldridge had a double-double with 25 points and 11 rebounds, and the Portland Trail Blazers earned their eighth straight home win with a 100-85 victory over Houston.
Nicolas Batum added 21 points and Wesley Matthews and Patrick Mills both scored 14 for the Blazers, who haven't lost inside the Rose Garden since November 26.
Portland built a 17-point lead through three quarters and won for the sixth time in eight games overall.
"We did a good job executing the game plan and defensively (did) a nice job of being physical," said Blazers head coach Nate McMillan.
Kevin Martin scored 15 points to lead the Rockets, who lost for the second time in three games on the heels of a five-game winning streak. Courtney Lee added 12 points in the setback.
Houston didn't hold a lead after the 5:35 mark of the first quarter, but Portland failed to take control of the game until late in the third.
The Blazers stretched their lead from five points to 17 with a 12-0 run sparked by Aldridge's hook shot. Aldridge threw down an alley-oop dunk later in the burst and followed it with a steal that led to Batum's bank shot for a 75-58 advantage.
The lead was as high as 19 points before Aaron Brooks' layup pulled Houston within 79-62 heading into the final quarter.
Portland's advantage ballooned to 23 on a Mills bucket with seven minutes remaining and never dipped below 13 the rest of the way.
"We were stuck behind all night. We weren't ready to play," said Rockets head coach Rick Adelman.
It was the first time the Blazers won eight straight at home since a 12-game streak from January 24-March 9, 2009.
They led by as many as eight points on the way to a 27-25 edge after the first quarter, and they were ahead by as much as 12 in the second before heading to the locker room with a 54-48 advantage.
Portland also extended its home winning streak over Houston, pushing it to four games...The Blazers shot 43 percent from the field to Houston's 41.
- HOUSTON: 85
Jan 2 11:23 PM
- HOUSTON: 62
End of 3rd
Jan 2 10:50 PM
- HOUSTON: 48
Jan 2 10:08 PM
- HOUSTON: 25
End of 1st
Jan 2 9:36 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Jan 2 9:11 PM
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- Blazers coach Terry Stotts agrees to 3-year extension May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- Damian Lillard and Trail Blazers look to bright future May 12
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- MVP Curry and his Warriors teammates move closer to goal May 12
- Splash Brothers Curry, Thompson send Warriors to West finals May 12
- Trail Blazers-Warriors Preview May 11
- Warriors look to clinch, Heat-Raptors face pivotal Game 5 May 11
- Warriors look to clinch, Heat-Raptors face pivotal Game 5 May 10