Gortat helps Suns down WarriorsMar 19, 2011 - 5:45 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Marcin Gortat scored 18 points in a reserve role, and the Phoenix Suns got great balance offensively in a 108-97 win over Golden State.
Steve Nash contributed 17 points and 10 assists for the Suns, who have won 12 in a row at home over the Warriors. Channing Frye ended with 17 points and nine rebounds, while Grant Hill also scored 17.
The Suns, who snapped a four-game overall skid, dominated inside by scoring 50 points in the paint and turned 21 Golden State turnovers into 24 points.
Dorell Wright scored 30 -- all in the second half -- for the Warriors, losers of three in a row.
Behind by as many as 18 in the early portion of the final quarter, the Warriors pulled within 104-97 with 66 seconds left on a three-pointer from Wright. But it was too little, too late as Nash then canned a pair of free throws to stem the tide.
"Finally, we started to play better defense and were more aggressive offensively," Gortat said. "Still, we have to learn how to close games. Golden State is a really dangerous team. They know how to come back. I'm just glad we won this game."
The Suns, who picked up their sixth straight win over Golden State and completed a season sweep of the Warriors for the first time since 2001-02, led 27-20 after one quarter. That lead was fueled by a 17-2 run.
Jared Dudley's layup widened the gap to 43-30 with four minutes left in the half, and Phoenix held a 50-38 lead at the break. The Suns were up as many as 20 in the third and carried an 84-65 cushion to the fourth.
"We never quit," said Golden State guard Stephen Curry. "I think the bench came in and gave us some great minutes, got some defensive stops, got the ball moving in our direction a little faster and Dorell and Al Thornton came in and got some good offensive possessions for us. Defensively, we were a little better; we just didn't have enough to get over the top."
The Suns have won 10 of their last 11 games against the Warriors, including all four meetings this season. Overall the Suns have won 28 of the last 31 meetings in Phoenix...Vince Carter had 10 points for Phoenix, while David Lee totaled 16 points and 10 boards for Golden State...Curry scored 15.
- GOLDEN STATE: 97
Mar 19 12:31 AM
- GOLDEN STATE: 65
End of 3rd
Mar 18 11:52 PM
- GOLDEN STATE: 40
Mar 18 11:08 PM
- GOLDEN STATE: 20
End of 1st
Mar 18 10:36 PM
- GOLDEN STATE: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Mar 18 10:13 PM
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 23
- Draymond, Westbrook swap barbs over fouls, kicks May 23
- Warriors' Green could face discipline after flagrant foul May 23
- Durant, Westbrook lead Thunder in blowout win over Warriors May 23
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 21
- Warriors' big men must come up big in Game 3 against Thunder May 21
- Donovan, Kerr took very different paths to NBA coaching May 21
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Column: Savor our version of Magic-Bird - Curry vs LeBron May 20
- Stephen Curry's sore right elbow not limiting him on court May 20
- Gary Payton unimpressed by Stephen Curry's unanimous MVP May 20
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19