Rockets 95, Nets 85Oct 16, 2010 - 4:58 PM GUANGZHOU, China (AP) -- With a home crowd chanting his name, Yao Ming looked sharp as he tested his surgically repaired foot Saturday in helping the Houston Rockets beat the New Jersey Nets 95-85 in a preseason game.
Yao scored 10 points in this showcase for the 7-foot-5 center who has spurred the growth of basketball in China. Easing his way back after sitting out last season, Yao made several deft hook shots during his 18 minutes on the court. When he wasn't playing, he rode an exercise bike on the sideline.
Yao shot 5 of 8 from the field, had five rebounds and was selected the game's most valuable player. He left to chants from the fans with nine minutes to go in a game marking the debut of the Guangzhou International Sports Arena.
Kevin Martin scored 16 points for the Rockets, while Aaron Brooks had 12 and Brad Miller 11. Miller played his first preseason game since spraining his ankle in September. For New Jersey, Brook Lopez finished with 20 points and Anthony Morrow had 19.
The Rockets play San Antonio and Dallas in two more exhibitions in the U.S. next week and open the season Oct. 26 against the Los Angeles Lakers. The Nets wrap up their preseason against New York and Boston next week before opening Oct. 27 against Detroit.
FINAL 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
HOUSTON 26 27 23 19 95
NEW JERSEY 20 22 29 14 85 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: HOU - KEVIN MARTIN 16, AARON BROOKS 12,
BRAD MILLER 11
NJN - BROOK LOPEZ 20, ANTHONY MORROW 19, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 16
Oct 16 9:56 AM
NEW JERSEY 71 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 16 9:28 AM
NEW JERSEY 42 HALFTIME
Oct 16 8:48 AM
NEW JERSEY 20 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 16 8:15 AM
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27
- Rockets-Warriors Preview Apr 26
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 26