Mavs beat Rockets on Marion's tip-inOct 23, 2010 - 4:04 AM DALLAS (AP) -- Shawn Marion tipped in the winning basket as time expired to give the Dallas Mavericks a 97-96 victory over the Houston Rockets on Friday night in the preseason finale for both teams.
The Mavericks were given a final chance after Houston's Courtney Lee turned the ball over with 0.4 seconds left. Jason Kidd lobbed a pass to Marion for the basket.
"It was a diagrammed play and we worked it to perfection," Marion said. "This is our last preseason game and we wanted to play with energy."
Dallas ended the game on a 14-4 run in the final 4:03. Marion's basket was the first time the Mavericks led since it was 36-35 with 6:31 left in the first half.
Caron Butler scored 25 points for Dallas and Dirk Nowitzki added 20. Chase Budinger had 19 and Aaron Brooks 18 for Houston. Marion finished with 12 points and nine rebounds.
"The manner in which we lost the game was disappointing," Rockets forward Shane Battier said. "You have to finish games out, we didn't execute down the stretch."
Rockets coach Rick Adelman missed the game with flulike symptoms. Assistant coach Elston Turner led the team in Adelman's absence.
"I don't put too much stock in exhibition wins," Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said. "But we won this game like we've won a lot of games the last couple years with grit, know-how and resourcefulness."
The Rockets were without forward Chuck Hayes, who missed his second straight game with a right ankle injury, and guard Kyle Lowry, who was out with back spasms.
"We're still a work in progress," Battier added. "We've had a lot of key players out during the preseason."
Mavericks center Tyson Chandler missed the game with an injured right thumb. Carlisle said Chandler is optimistic that he will be available for the team's season opener on Wednesday against Charlotte.
DALLAS 97 FINAL
Oct 22 10:57 PM
DALLAS 95 0:00 LEFT, 4TH QTR
Oct 22 10:55 PM
DALLAS 76 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 22 10:21 PM
DALLAS 47 HALFTIME
Oct 22 9:32 PM
END 1ST QTR 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
HOUSTON 26 26
DALLAS 20 20 END 1ST QTR
HIGH SCORERS AFTER 1ST QUARTER
HOU - AARON BROOKS 10, LUIS SCOLA 7,
KEVIN MARTIN 5
DAL - JASON TERRY 6, CARON BUTLER 5, DIRK
Oct 22 9:03 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27
- Nowitzki not retiring, all but certain to return to Mavs Apr 26
- Rockets-Warriors Preview Apr 26
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 26