88 - 91 Final
  for this game

Memphis grabs a 2-1 lead over San Antonio

Apr 24, 2011 - 3:36 AM Memphis, TN (Sports Network) - Zach Randolph scored 25 points, including a key three-pointer in the final minute, and Memphis held on for a 91-88 victory over San Antonio to take a 2-1 lead in the first-round playoff series.

The Spurs had about six seconds left to set up a final shot, but Manu Ginobili dribbled into a pair of defenders on the right side and got stuck as time ran out.

Trying to knock off the top-seeded Spurs, the Grizzlies earned their first- ever postseason win at home and will look to take a commanding lead in this Western Conference set when they host Game 4 on Monday.

Marc Gasol added 17 points, Mike Conley scored 14 and Memphis was able to hold off a comeback attempt by San Antonio after leading by as many as 15 points in the second quarter and by double-digits for most of the third.

Ginobili led the Spurs with 23 points in his second game back after missing Game 1 with a right elbow sprain. Tony Parker added 16 and Tim Duncan scored 13 with 11 rebounds, but San Antonio never led after 12-11 despite clawing back in the second half.

Randolph was scanning the court, looking to pass as the shot clock wound down, when he squared up instead and buried a three-pointer over Duncan on the right side to give Memphis a 91-86 lead with 41.9 seconds left.

"The play was designed to go to Marc, but he dropped off and I took the shot," Randolph said. "It felt real good to hit that shot, that time of the game. We're not done yet. We have to stay humble, a quick turn-around for Monday."

Ginobili made a pair of free throws at the other end -- he was 12-of-14 from the line -- to draw the Spurs within three points, and they caught a break when Randolph missed a jumper.

But instead of calling a timeout, the Spurs squandered the precious final seconds without taking a shot.

"We came up and trapped Ginobili. We just wanted to keep him off the three and force him to take a two," Randolph said.

Randolph made up for his poor performance in Game 2 Wednesday, when he scored just 11 points in a 93-87 loss after signing a multi-year contract extension earlier in the day.

"We played individual and better team defense in Game 2," said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. "That didn't happen tonight."

They weren't much better on the offensive end, shooting just 2-for-15 from three-point range. Ginobili said it was a combination of things that led to the inaccurate shooting.

"I think it was Tony's and my mistakes not to find our teammates when they were open," he said. "We were not sharp enough finding teammates. They are making an effort not leaving the corners open for shots. We either have to find a way to get our teammates or get our guys more open, or attack more, or do something else."

Memphis controlled this one almost from the start.

Parker played just 3:48 in the first quarter after picking up two fouls and the Spurs couldn't keep pace with the Grizzlies, who shot nearly 56 percent in the frame.

Memphis closed the quarter on a 9-2 burst, highlighted by Shane Battier's three-pointer from the right corner and capped by his hook shot to make it 29-20 heading into the second.

The Grizzlies scored the next five points, taking a 34-20 lead on O.J. Mayo's three-pointer early in the second, pushing the overall run to 14-2. They went ahead by as many as 15 points several times and carried a 52-42 advantage into halftime after a brief 5-0 spurt by San Antonio.

Parker led a 6-0 burst at the end of the third quarter that got the Spurs within 71-66 heading into the fourth.

San Antonio tied the game twice after that, including 80-80 on a Ginobili free throw. But Mayo pump-faked Ginobili at the other end for a three-pointer and the Grizzlies led the rest of the way.

Game Notes

Spurs starting center Antonio McDyess was injured late in the fourth when Duncan came down on his neck/shoulder area as they jostled for a rebound on the Memphis end. McDyess, who scored eight with 10 rebounds, couldn't stand all the way up and walked the locker room hunched over.