Howard helps Magic top BobcatsJan 18, 2012 - 4:50 AM
"I pray he doesn't go anywhere and stays," said Magic guard Von Wafer of Howard, who has been often rumored to be on the trading block. "I love playing with him."
Hedo Turkoglu scored eight of his 15 points in a close fourth quarter, Jameer Nelson scored 17, and Wafer and Ryan Anderson each chipped in 13 for Orlando, which was coming off a perfect four-game road trip.
Charlotte has lost eight of nine overall despite consistent performances by Gerald Henderson, who netted 22 points on 7-of-10 shooting. Kemba Walker added 15 points, while D.J. Augustin scored 13 but committed eight turnovers.
The final quarter began knotted at 67-all, but Charlotte went without a field goal for four minutes early on to lose momentum. Consecutive three-pointers by Wafer and Turkoglu gave Orlando an 80-74 lead with five minutes remaining.
Henderson converted a three-point play with 2:25 showing to cut the deficit to 81-79, then traded jumpers from the left elbow with Turkoglu.
Anderson, who made seven three-pointers in Monday's win over New York, drained one from long range the next time down to restore the two-possession edge.
It was still a five-point game in the final minute before an Augustin turnover led to Turkoglu getting fouled in transition with 42.9 seconds left and hitting both free throws for a 90-83 cushion.
Henderson was fouled taking a three-pointer the next time down, but only made one at the line to diminish any chance at a comeback.
"The end of games are where we have to lock down and execute," Henderson said. "We'll be better off with experience like that last few games."
The Bobcats owned the end of the first and second quarters, closing each frame with a 9-2 run. They led 24-17 heading to the second, and 50-47 at the break. Both teams shot 49 percent from the field in the first half.
Howard made sure the Magic finished the third off with a flurry, as his dunk and three-point play in the final minute tied things at 67.
Charlotte has lost three straight in Orlando...Bismack Biyombo posted 11 points and 10 rebounds for the Bobcats...Walker had a game-high six assists.
- CHARLOTTE: 89
Jan 17 9:27 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 67
End of 3rd
Jan 17 8:47 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 50
Jan 17 8:06 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 24
End of 1st
Jan 17 7:34 PM
- CHARLOTTE: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Jan 17 7:12 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Thursday's Sports in Brief May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Scott Skiles resigns as coach of Magic after just 1 season May 12
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 12
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 1
- Heat roll past Hornets in Game 7, 106-73 May 1
- Hornets-Heat Preview Apr 30