Shengelia provides spark for Nets in win over WizardsApr 16, 2013 - 5:28 AM
And no one benefited more than Tornike Shengelia.
The 21-year-old Shengelia tallied 11 points and 11 rebounds in the Nets' 106-101 win over the Washington Wizards.
Shengelia, who had played just 67 minutes all season, got 25 minutes of playing time on Monday and his hustle provided the spark needed for Brooklyn to overcome a 17-point, first-quarter deficit.
Andray Blatche tallied 20 points and 12 boards, while the only regular starter in the lineup, Kris Humphries, recorded 20 points and nine rebounds for Brooklyn, which is locked into the No. 4 seed in the Eastern Conference.
"It's all about opportunity," Blatche said. "I felt a lot of the young guys showed they belong in the league."
John Wall registered 18 points, 12 assists and six rebounds for the Wizards, who have dropped five consecutive contests.
Shengelia's driving layup gave the Nets their first advantage, 95-94, with 4:57 left in the fourth. A bit later, he emphatically blocked Wall's layup attempt at the rim before he was fouled and split a pair of free throws on an offensive rebound attempt to knot the game at 96-96 with 3:20 to go.
Blatche's layup with 55.5 ticks remaining gave Brooklyn a 103-101 cushion, but he was unable to complete a three-point play. Cartier Martin missed a triple at the other end and Tyshawn Taylor's triple with 22 seconds left put the game away.
"I don't care if this is the second to last game or not, you've got to have a little bit of pride to play defense in the fourth quarter to win a game," Wizards head coach Randy Whitman.
Earlier, the Wizards jumped out to a 30-13 start before taking a 34-21 lead after a quarter of play and a 56-50 edge into the break. Washington took a 77-73 spread into the final frame.
Brooklyn netted 22 points off of 20 Washington turnovers ... The Nets held a 21-10 margin in second-chance points ... Trevor Booker finished with 16 points and 13 boards for the Wizards.
- WASHINGTON: 101
Apr 15 9:47 PM
- WASHINGTON: 77
End of 3rd
Apr 15 9:12 PM
- WASHINGTON: 56
Apr 15 8:31 PM
- WASHINGTON: 34
End of 1st
Apr 15 8:02 PM
- WASHINGTON: 3
1st Quarter - 11:42
Apr 15 7:42 PM
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- New coach Brooks: Focus is on Wizards players, not Durant Apr 27
- Washington announces Scott Brooks as Wizards next head coach Apr 26
- Durant: Happy ex-coach Brooks back in NBA, focused on Mavs Apr 22
- AP Sources: Scott Brooks to be Washington Wizards next coach Apr 21
- Nets hire Hawks assistant Kenny Atkinson as new coach Apr 17
- Company of Russian owner of Brooklyn Nets searched in Moscow Apr 15