Gay leads Kings over LakersApr 3, 2014 - 6:14 AM Sacramento, CA (SportsNetwork.com) - Rudy Gay had 31 points and the Sacramento Kings defeated the Los Angeles Lakers, 107-102, on Wednesday night.
Ray McCallum netted 27 points and DeMarcus Cousins added 20 points and 10 rebounds for the Kings, who have won two straight on the heels of a three-game slide.
"Sometimes opportunity only comes once and when it comes, you have to take advantage of it and that's what I'm trying to do now," McCallum said.
Jordan Hill tallied 18 points and 15 boards for Los Angeles, which has dropped four of its last five, and Jodie Meeks scored 21 in the loss.
"They should be taking these opportunities to get better and try to get some wins," Lakers head coach Mike D'Antoni said.
The Lakers trailed 94-81 with 7:55 left in the fourth before they used a 10-2 run to get back in it. Nick Young and Wes Johnson jumpstarted the surge with 3-pointrs and Meeks capped it with a layup to cut the deficit to 96-91.
Johnson's tip-in with 1:06 to go pulled LA within 105-102 and it got a stop at the other end after Travis Outlaw missed a jumper. Kent Bazemore, though, was unable to get his layup to drop.
McCallum then split a pair of foul shots, but Ben McLemore snatched the offensive rebound and Outlaw hit 1-of-2 with 17.4 ticks remaining to seal the outcome.
Earlier, the Kings led 24-23 after a quarter of play, 60-52 at the break and 87-76 after three.
Sacramento shot 48.8 percent (42-of-86) from the floor, while the Lakers finished 38.5 percent (37-of-96) from the field ... LA held a 32-11 advantage in fast-break points.
Apr 3 12:23 AM
- LOS ANGELES: 76
End of 3rd
Apr 2 11:49 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 52
Apr 2 11:09 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 23
End of 1st
Apr 2 10:38 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Quarter - 11:44
Apr 2 10:11 PM
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- LeBron says Curry deserves MVP, debates meaning of award May 11
- Stephen Curry is first unanimous NBA MVP, takes honor again May 10
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9