Parker stars as Spurs slam WizardsMar 7, 2009 - 5:01 AM SAN ANTONIO (Ticker) -- Tony Parker and the San Antonio Spurs left the Washington Wizards dazed and abused with a stunning third-quarter run on Friday.
Parker scored 15 points as the Spurs went on a 20-5 burst to turn a comfortable lead into a blowout en route to a 100-78 victory over the woeful and undermanned Wizards.
Antawn Jamison hit a shot to bring Washington within 48-38 before the floodgates opened.
Parker had five layups and five free throws over a six-minute stretch that ended with San Antonio up, 68-43.
"Well we played pretty good defense throughout the entire game, of course they were undermanned and that made it really difficult for the Wizards," Gregg Popovich said. "We didn't let up, we played hard and got the win."
Parker finished with 19 points and seven assists in 24 minutes.
The quarter ended with the Spurs up, 79-53, after a 33-19 edge over the entire quarter.
The fourth quarter proved to be little more than extended garbage time.
"Well I think everyone on the bench has done a great job, Ime (Udoka) included obviously," Poppovich said. "Even Jacque(Vaughn) who has gotten fewer minutes than anyone, you'll find them all in the gym before practice, after practice and just being really professional. They're earning their pay, not sulking, it's a real joy to be around people like that."
Washington has been crushed by injuries as it has been without Gilbert Arenas and Brendan Haywood all season. Caron Butler has been sidelined recently with a hamstring and Etan Thomas is also among the missing.
Jamison led the Wizards with 14 points.
"The Spurs are an elite team and its always difficult to play them," Jamison said. "They are a team that doesn't go out and take games but a team that makes you give the game to them. Their defense was terrific and they were able to move the ball and get open shots. Tony Parker in the third quarter was finding the basket so easily and getting all of his shots."
SAN ANTONIO 100 FINAL
Mar 6 10:51 PM
SAN ANTONIO 79 END, 3RD QTR
Mar 6 10:18 PM
SAN ANTONIO 46 HALFTIME
Mar 6 9:36 PM
SAN ANTONIO 24 END, 1ST QTR
Mar 6 9:06 PM
- Spurs-Thunder Preview May 23
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15
- Durant, Thunder beat Spurs and return to conference finals May 13
- Spurs unsure if Duncan or Ginobili will return May 13
- Thunder beat Spurs, advance to Western Conference finals May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 11