Martin propels Kings past NuggetsMar 9, 2009 - 5:01 AM SACRAMENTO, California (Ticker) -- Kevin Martin scored 26 points, dished out eight assists and grabbed seven rebounds as the Sacramento Kings posted a 114-106 victory over the Denver Nuggets on Sunday.
Andres Nocioni finished with 23 points and Spencer Hawes added 20 for the Kings, who had lost 11 of their previous 13 contests.
"It was really tough because we know everybody can score on Denver," Nocioni said. "They're a dangerous team. They play well, move the ball. We needed to collapse in the paint maybe more than usual, but I think we did well. They made a run, but it's normal."
"A team like Denver, you really have to try and impose your will before they can get out and run on you," Hawes said. "Like they proved the first time they came to Arco, if we let them do that, it was over pretty quick. Taking care of that was pivotal to us tonight. Everybody contributed (defensively)."
Reserve Francisco Garcia collected 19 points on 6-of-8 shooting for Sacramento (14-49), which still owns the worst record in the Western Conference.
Carmelo Anthony poured in 32 points with seven rebounds for the Nuggets, who have lost four of their last five games.
"When you give a team that's struggling 35 points in the first quarter - I don't think the scouting told anybody they did something we didn't know about," Nuggets coach George Karl said. "Hawes, we knew could make shots. Nocioni, we knew could make shots."
With a win, Denver (40-24) would have grabbed the Northwest Division lead and climbed into a tie for the third best record in the West. Instead, the Nuggets remained in seventh place in the conference.
Chauncey Billups had 22 points and eight assists while J.R. Smith added 19 points for Denver.
"It seemed like every opportunity when we fought back, a three would go in or we'd turn it over," Karl said. "As fast as we played to catch up, to only have 10 turnovers is pretty good. You dig a hole like that and give the other team confidence and energy, and they
haven't won in a while, the fight comes up, the spirit of the game comes up."
SACRAMENTO 114 FINAL
Mar 8 11:33 PM
SACRAMENTO 85 END, 3RD QTR
Mar 8 10:56 PM
SACRAMENTO 61 HALFTIME
Mar 8 10:10 PM
SACRAMENTO 35 END, 1ST QTR
Mar 8 9:37 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9
- A person with knowledge of the deal tells The Associated Press the Sacramento Kings have agreed to terms with Dave Joerger on a three-year deal to make him their new coach May 9
- Kings hire Catanella as assistant general manager Apr 28
- Tuesday's Sports in Brief Apr 20
- AP Sources: Kings to interview Del Negro, Jackson, Mitchell Apr 20
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- Kings fire coach George Karl after 1 full season Apr 14
- Playoff destination sealed, Blazers beat Nuggets 107-99 Apr 14
- NBA Capsules Apr 14