Lucas leads Michigan State past PurdueMar 8, 2009 - 9:43 PM EAST LANSING, Michigan (Ticker) -- Kalin Lucas and Michigan State will enter the Big Ten Conference Tournament on a high note after getting some revenge against Purdue.
Lucas scored 21 points Sunday afternoon, leading the eighth-ranked Spartans to a 62-51 victory over No. 20 Purdue in a slugfest between the Big Ten's top two teams.
Goran Suton finished with 11 points and 10 rebounds for Michigan State (25-5, 15-3 Big Ten), which ended the regular season with five consecutive wins.
That winning streak was sparked by Michigan State's 72-54 loss at Purdue, which erupted in the second half on February 17 to crush the Spartans in West Lafayette.
"Once this week is over, you're playing one-and-done from here on out," Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo said. "We need to get a lot of work done. I got some questions answered, but it seems like we get one guy playing well and then one guy doesn't play as well."
Despite facing a 31-29 halftime deficit in this contest, the Spartans limited the Boilermakers (22-9, 11-7) to just four points over the first 15 minutes of the second half to take a 47-35 lead with 4:54 remaining.
"We really stressed that we had to put pressure on the ball and get more help off the ball," Izzo said. "Our defense the last six or seven games, we've been really good."
JaJuan Johnson and E'Twaun Moore scored 12 points each to pace Purdue, which shot just 28 percent (17-of-60) from the floor.
"I'm real concerned about the offense," Purdue head coach Matt Painter said. "Any time you struggle to score the basketball, you need to re-evaluate. I just think we need to continue to do the same things, we just need to do them better, be more efficient."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
PURDUE (20) 31 20 51
MICHIGAN ST (8) 29 33 62 FINAL
Mar 8 2:27 PM
- NCAA BB
(20) PURDUE 31
(8) MICHIGAN ST 29 HALFTIME
Mar 8 1:11 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Michigan State's Deyonta Davis enters NBA draft after 1 year Apr 12
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Marvin Clark and Javon Bess plan to leave Michigan State Mar 28
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- Izzo will assist Davis as he explores option of entering NBA Mar 22
- Michigan State's Valentine laments a game he'll never forget Mar 19
- No. 2 Michigan State becomes NCAA's early bracket-buster Mar 18
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16
- Deyonta Davis has shot to shine for 2nd-seeded Spartans Mar 15