Fields' late baskets send Pitt past XavierMar 27, 2009 - 5:13 AM
Top-seeded Pitt (31-4) trailed 54-52 before its point guard connected from long range. Then DeJuan Blair poked the ball away from B.J. Raymond and Fields picked it up and went in for the layup with 23 seconds to go.
Sam Young led Pitt with 19 points, Fields had 14, and Blair had 10 points and 17 rebounds in the East semifinal victory. The Panthers overcame an eight-point halftime deficit.
The last time Pitt was in a regional final was in 1974 when it lost to eventual national champion North Carolina State and star David Thompson, 100-72.
Fourth-seeded Xavier (27-8) was led by Raymond with 15 points and Derrick Brown with 14.
Pitt plays Saturday against third-seeded Villanova, which beat Duke, 77-54, on Thursday, for a berth in the Final Four.
Panthers coach Jamie Dixon made it to the round of eight for the first time in his six years at the helm after losing in his other two trips to the round of 16. Xavier fell short in its bid for a third berth in the regional finals in six years.
Trailing 37-29 at halftime, Pitt scored the first nine points of the second half - and Xavier missed its first 10 shots - as the Panthers took a 38-37 lead with 14:33 left.
But the Musketeers recovered and went ahead 54-52 with 1:50 remaining when Dante Jackson cut to the basket for a layup.
Fields then had the ball past midcourt before it went into the backcourt off a defender. Fields retrieved it, dribbled into his own end and fired up the go-ahead shot.
He was in the right place again when Raymond lost control of his dribble. Fields got the ball, pushed it forward and dribbled ahead of the field to put the Panthers up by three.
Xavier's Terrell Holloway made a free throw with 16 seconds left, but Young hit two just three seconds later. After a missed 3-pointer by Brown, Brad Wannamaker made one more free throw for Pitt with 2.6 seconds left.
- EAST REGIONAL SEMIFINALS
NCAA BB EAST REGIONAL SEMIFINALS
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
(4) XAVIER 37 18 55
(1) PITTSBURGH 29 31 60 FINAL
Mar 26 9:36 PM
- EAST REGIONAL SEMIFINALS
NCAA BB (4) XAVIER 37
(1) PITTSBURGH 29 HALFTIME
Mar 26 8:17 PM
- No NBA: Trevon Bluiett staying at Xavier for junior season May 23
- Xavier gives coach Chris Mack an additional year on contract Apr 14
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- Badgers, Musketeers preparing for physical NCAA clash Mar 19
- Xavier pulls away from Weber State late for 71-53 win Mar 18
- Xavier opens tourney vs Weber St, hoping for deep run Mar 17
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- No. 5 Xavier looking to fix defense at Big East tournament Mar 7
- Pitt hoping to play itself off the bubble at ACC tourney Mar 7
- Pitt senior guard Robinson hoping to end career on high note Feb 27