N.C.-Asheville 70, Charlotte 86Nov 14, 2009 - 3:48 AM ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) -- Shamarr Bowden scored 21 points and Charlotte's coach Bobby Lutz won his 200th career game in a 86-70 victory over North Carolina-Asheville in the teams' season opener Friday night.
Phil Jones scored 16 points and grabbed 12 rebounds for the 49ers, who outrebounded UNC-Asheville 53-35. Charlotte finished with 21 offensive rebounds.
Chris Braswell had 10 points and 11 rebounds for the 49ers and DiJuan Harris added 14 points.
Despite shooting 12-for-35 in the first half, Charlotte held a 13-point lead at halftime.
UNC-Asheville opened the second half with a 19-8 run, cutting the lead to 49-48 on Quinard Jackson's layup with 13:01 remaining. But Bowden hit four straight 3-pointers to push Charlotte's margin to 10 points, giving them extra cushion to pull away.
Chris Stephenson scored 22 points and J.P. Primm added 15 points for the Bulldogs.
- CIAA will stay in North Carolina despite state's LGBT law Apr 29
- Price experiencing growing pains in 1st year with Charlotte Dec 24
- Mark Price named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 26
- Reports: Price to be named Charlotte 49ers coach Mar 25
- Major won't return as Charlotte coach Mar 15
- Hurricanes hit 14 3s, hold off Charlotte Nov 26
- Charlotte and Miami do it again Nov 25
- Charlotte shocks Michigan to win Puerto Rico Tip-Off Nov 24
- 49ers take on Wolverines for Puerto Rico Tip-Off crown Nov 24
- Parker and Duke beat up UNC-Asheville Nov 18
- Duke entertains UNC Asheville in NIT Season Tip-Off Nov 18
- No. 1 Kentucky beats UNC-Asheville by 32 Nov 8