Richmond routs Virginia Military Institute 103-59Nov 17, 2009 - 2:27 AM RICHMOND, Va.(AP) -- Justin Harper scored 21 points as Richmond routed Virginia Military Institute 103-59 on Monday night.
The Spiders scored 20 straight first-half points on the way to their largest winning margin in the 125-game series. Richmond scored 100 points for the first time since beating George Mason 105-91 on Jan. 29, 1996. The Spiders had 31 assists, the most since Dec. 3, 1979.
Richmond (2-0) hit 14 of its first 20 shots to take a 34-11 lead and led by 27 before the Keydets (1-1) pulled to 50-29 at halftime.
The Spiders were 20-for-29 from the field and VMI was 9-for-28.
Richmond began the second half with a 15-3 run - nine by Harper - and the Keydets could not get closer than 30.
Dan Geriot added 17 points and a career-high 17 rebounds for the Spiders and David Gonzalves had 17 points, six assists and four steals.
Keith Gabriel led VMI with 17 points.
- Richmond reserve Wood to miss 2nd game with concussion Mar 10
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- Passing fancy: Nancy Lieberman's son also an adept passer Feb 23
- VMI introduces Earl as new men's hoops coach Apr 13
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- Richmond nips No. 22 VCU in double OT Feb 26
- Bragging rights on line in clash between Rams and Spiders Feb 25
- Richmond upsets VCU in Capital City Classic Jan 31
- Rams butt heads with cross-town rival Spiders Jan 31
- No. 22 Dayton edges Richmond Jan 24
- 22nd-ranked Flyers set sights on Spiders Jan 24
- No. 21 West Virginia routs VMI Nov 27